OHS Baseball off to a hot start

Justin Gleason, Writer

The Owatonna Baseball team is off to a hot start this year. They started out with a 3-2 record and slugged in 41 runs through their first five games. With a mix of good pitchers and good hitters, the team has high hopes for the season.

Coach Tate Cummins is in his 16th year as head coach for the Owatonna Huskies.

“Our season has gotten off on the right track. Our first three games went exceptionally well. We had limited defensive mistakes which helped us win those games,” said Coach Cummins. 

Coach Cummins is hopeful for a great season with many returning players on the team this year. Coach Cummins said, “Our goal this year is to keep getting better every day. We want to establish our pitching rotation so we can get guys to come in and get big outs when we need it.” 

The team is led by three seniors and one junior captain. Jonny Clubb, Drew Kretlow, Ayden Walter, and Mitch Seykora. Along with the captains, the team has four more senior leaders: Teagun Ahrens, Briley Highfield, Chris Homuth, and Collin Vick.

The team is very proud of their intense play especially when they need someone to come through for the team. Kretlow said, “The season is off to a great start so far. We have a really scrappy team that can play with anyone. I have complete confidence in our entire team that they can all get a big hit when they need to”  

The Huskies have high hopes for not just the regular season, but the playoffs too. Kretlow said, “As a team, Big 9 and section championships are always on our mind as goals. To get the opportunity to play for those titles at the end of the year is going to take constant improvement and being able to focus on the next game despite setbacks.” 

The Huskies play against Rochester Mayo at Rochester Mayo High School on Tuesday, May. 2.