The final performance in the Owatonna High School

Justin Gleason

The symphony orchestra practices How to Train Your Dragon for the pop’s concert.

Lauren Waypa, Writer

Owatonna High School Pops Concert is on Tuesday, May 16. It will start at 7:00 p.m. and go until around 9:00 p.m. Huskies, varsity, symphony and concert band, orchestra and choir will be performing in this event. 

Orchestra director Ms. Justice said, “I love sharing this last concert, especially with my outgoing seniors. It is a fun release that leaves you feeling good and it is an awesome memory for the final performance as high schoolers.” This is the last concert with seniors and it will be an exciting way to end the year.

Huskies and Varsity Bands are performing “Selections from The Greatest Showman” arranged by Paul Murtha.

Huskies orchestra will perform “An Irish Party in Third Class” arranged by Gaelic Storm adapted by Larry Moore and “Green Day Medley” by Green Day arranged for string orchestra by Eric Gorfain.

The symphony quartet will perform “Bohemian Rhapsody” arranged by OHS senior Rohit Poduval.

Huskies and varsity choir will perform “Dance Evolution” arranged by Mark Brymer.

There will be the presentation of the All State Awards and Hall of Fame Inductees.

Varsity orchestra will perform “Can’t Help Falling in Love” arranged by Robert Longfield and “Pirates of the Caribbean On Stranger Tides” arranged by James Kazik.

Senior Liam Melgaard is involved in concert band, varsity and symphony orchestra and concert choir. Melgaard said, “I am most looking forward to hearing what the other groups have been preparing and seeing how the audience reacts to the choreography that is being performed with the choir performances.”

There will be the presentation of the Music Department Awards.

Symphony orchestra will perform “How to Train Your Dragon” by John Powell arranged by Sean O’Loughlin.

Concert band will perform “Selections from Encanto Lin Manuel-Miranda” arranged by Paul Murtha and “Highlights from Les Miserables” arranged by Jay Bocook.

Concert choir will finish the pop’s concert by performing “High School Musical 3” arranged by Mac Huff.

Senior Mady Simon is involved with the symphony orchestra. 

Simon said, “I am looking forward to seeing all the music choices each ensemble has chosen to play. I believe there will be a bigger audience this year because it is the last time playing in this school but also an emotional concert because it is the last time many of us are playing together.”

The pops concert has been an annual event for 62 years.