OHS boys track runs through competition this spring

Sevy Enter

Senior Captain Owen Korbel approaching the bar to high jump.

Justin Gleason, Writer

The Owatonna Boys Track team is having a dominant season so far this spring. Some of their notable wins include the Dick Norman Invite and the section 1AAA true team meet. With a mix of senior leaders and some great underclassmen, the Huskies have a very well balanced team this year.

Coach Kevin Stelter is in his 24th year as head coach for the team.

Coach Stelter said, “The season is off to a fantastic start. We have a lot of big wins so far and have many more ahead of us in the near future. We are in the process of getting ready for the state true team meet this Friday.” 

Last year, the Huskies placed third at the state true team meet. They are hoping for similar results this year. 

Stelter said, “We can compete with all the teams there and we have just as good of a team as last year. We should be able to get a top four finish if all things go the way they should.” 

Senior captain, Owen Korbel, competes in high jump. His jumping is a big part of the team’s success.

Korbel said, “The season is going very well. Even with some injuries, we have had people step up from every grade level so we are able to do well at big meets.” 

Korbel is committed to compete for Minnesota State University Moorhead next year on the track team. 

Korbel said, “We all want to defend our conference and section titles. We also have a good chance to send people to state in field events and relays so  it’s going to take a team effort of being smart and working hard for the rest of the year to achieve these goals.” 

The Huskies compete at the state true team meet this Friday, May 19 at Stillwater High School.