Annual One Act Festival is sure to be a hit

Ava K

Cast of “The Tree” prepares the beginning of their performance on stage.

Ava Kleeberger, Writer

This year’s One Act festival features four short comedic plays, directed by students here at OHS. The annual One Act festival has one performance on Thursday, June 1 at 7 p.m. 

“That’s Not How I Remember It,” directed by Makenna Hovey and Ashley Holm, is a comedic show about a couple recounting how they first met, yet neither of them seem to recall exactly how it happened. 

“Bad Auditions by Bad Actors,” directed by Paige Anselmo and Abby Beaver, is a comedy following a casting call for Romeo and Juliet that turns disastrous. 

“The Tree,” directed by Caleb Schlie and Olivia Zaccaria, is a horror/comedy about four friends who find themselves lost in the woods. 

“The Brothers Grimm Spectaculathon,” directed by Madlyn Schorder and Ashton Brooks, is a comedic–and often exaggerated–twist on classic fairy tales. 

The student directors have had a month to prepare their shows for an audience. Senior Paige Anselmo said, “It’s a little tricky because some of our cast members are a part of other shows as well, but we’re working through those obstacles.”

Through the One Acts, students get to learn how to navigate going from an actor to a director. All creative liberties are given to directors, down to the actors, costumes, and set pieces. Students must also work through any issues that might arise on their own, which allows for growth and new experiences.  

Theater director Erik Eitrheim said, “It gives a chance for young students in theater to direct other students and broadens the amount of people we can have on stage.” 

This is the 15th One Act Festival put on by the OHS Theater department, and it is sure to be a hit. Entry is free for all, and all four shows can be seen on Thursday, June 1 at 7 p.m. in the OHS auditorium.