46 °
    46 °
    46 °
    46 °
    46 °
    47 °
    47 °
    47 °
    46 °
    46 °
    45 °
    45 °
    45 °
    45 °
    45 °
    46 °
    47 °
    47 °
    47 °
    47 °
    48 °
    49 °
    50 °
    50 °
    49 °
April 28
47°/ 45°
Moderate rain
April 29
51°/ 42°
April 30
69°/ 38°
Moderate rain

Jackson DeGrood is a senior at OHS. DeGrood loves playing Fortnite. In his freetime he plays Fortnite with senior Jayden Omangi. DeGrood’s favorite thing to do is catch a victory royale with fellas....

Blake Fitcher is a junior at Owatonna High School. Fitcher wanted to join Magnet because he wanted to try something new and different, as well as wanting to meet new people and work on his social skills....

Andres Contreras is a senior at OHS this year. This is his second year in Magnet, this year he will take the role of editor and writer. Contreras is involved in Younglife and Wyldlife outside of school....

46 °
    46 °
    46 °
    46 °
    46 °
    47 °
    47 °
    47 °
    46 °
    46 °
    45 °
    45 °
    45 °
    45 °
    45 °
    46 °
    47 °
    47 °
    47 °
    47 °
    48 °
    49 °
    50 °
    50 °
    49 °
April 28
47°/ 45°
Moderate rain
April 29
51°/ 42°
April 30
69°/ 38°
Moderate rain

Ella Williams is a senior at Owatonna High School, and this is her second year in Magnet. Williams has been a dancer at Just For Kix for 15 years and is involved in Big Brothers Big Sisters and YoungLife....

Ruby Garza is a senior at Owatonna High School and this is her third year on the Magnet staff. The reason Garza decided to continue being in Magnet was because she has enjoyed her experience in the class...

New rules carry on 3 OT’s to students at new OHS

Dean+of+students+Doug+Wanous+reminds+students+Makenna+Neumann+and+Calden+Durand+to+stay+off+their+phones+during+class+time.+
Crystal Garza
Dean of students Doug Wanous reminds students Makenna Neumann and Calden Durand to stay off their phones during class time.

As the first couple of months at the new OHS comes to a wrap, the school’s new rules have definitely sparked many opinions and emotions amongst students and staff. Each rule is set to provide the best learning environment for the students while also making sure they stay safe. 

Some of the rules causing much discussion include: no phones in classrooms, no leaving the cafeteria during lunch time and a new check in policy. 

The no phones in classroom rule is to be followed during class room times. Students should only use their phones during passing periods and while eating lunch. Phones must be stored in bags and bluetooth may be used when allowed by teachers.  As the policy continued to be implemented students began to hold a disfavor for this rule. Senior Violet Thompson said, “It wouldn’t be so bad if we could use them after getting our work done.”  

Not all students see this as a positive change for OHS, Principal Kory Kath has a different view on this rule as he said, “We absolutely respect your free time whether it’s passing time or time at lunch, before and after school, but during class it really should be an engagement the whole time.” 

We absolutely respect your free time whether it’s passing time or time at lunch, before and after school, but during class it really should be an engagement the whole time.” 

— Kory Kath

In the old school students had opportunities to eat lunch with their favorite teacher or slip away to the warmest area of the school to eat lunch. This year that has changed. Students are now monitored during lunch times, where staff is not allowed to let students roam free until lunch is over. Many students have an issue with this rule, sophomore Lauren Prestegard said, “Sometimes my friends and I get done with lunch early and I want to go to my class to get my homework done.”

The last new procedure is the new check-in, check-out system. If and when students leave the building they must scan the QR code in the attendance office and fill out a form. Once students come back into the building that process is once again required. Students find this to be an inconvenience as the build up of students getting the form done at once causes a line in the walkway and an extra step when running late to class. OHS secretary Megan Rosenau said, “This is the only entrance anybody coming to the building can get into, so we need to make sure we’re monitoring who’s coming in, by students signing in that’s verifying they’re a student.”

For now students must follow these new rules as they are put in place to keep OHS students safe, on time, on task, and on target. 

Crystal Garza
Crystal Garza, Writer
Crystal Garza is a senior this year at OHS. This will be her second year on Magnet as a writer. In school Garza is involved in Key Club, Link Crew, and Young Life. Outside of school Garza has a job at the Target Starbucks and babysits. Garza enjoys hanging out with her friends, family, and her dog Toby. Other than friends and family she spends money shopping, often rearranges her room, and likes to lay down to read a book while listening to music. Although her career path has changed throughout the years. In the future Garza would like to pursue a career in sports medicine, being a physical therapist or an athletic trainer. Garza joined Magnet to help her writing skills and get more involved in what's going on in OHS. Garza is looking forward to another fun year in Magnet.