October is breast cancer awareness month

Breast cancer is an incredibly challenging disease, October is Breast Cancer Awareness Month, a month to raise funds, reduce stigma, educate and celebrate those affected by breast cancer. Breast cancer is a disease where the cells in one’s breast grow out of control. Comment about where it ranks in cancers.

Breast Cancer Awareness Month started in 1985 as a week-long awareness campaign by the American Cancer Society, along with Imperial Chemical Industries. Later in that year it was turned into a month-long event. There have been numerous social media campaigns, fundraising events and other forms of imaging, such as a pink ribbon, to bring more awareness. The pink ribbon symbolizes breast cancer and the struggle women with breast cancer went through or are going through. 

Women in the United States of America have a one in eight chance of getting breast cancer sometime in their life. That high percentage is why people try to bring awareness to breast cancer every October. The NFL has been raising money for the Cancer American Society since 2009. The NFL teams have continued $27 million throughout the 15 years. Each NFL team hosts a cancer awareness game. 

Here at Owatonna High School Breast Cancer awareness is bought every year at different sports events.On Sept. 19, the volleyball theme was pink out for cancer at the game Austin vs. Owatonna. Volleyball raised money at the game for an OHS mom with breast cancer. Every year the Owatonna Football team has a breast cancer awareness night where the theme of the football game is pink for breast cancer. 

This year on Friday, September 29 was the Homecoming game for the theme was Husky gear and pink to kick off Breast Cancer Awareness Month. Varsity cheerleader Samantha Nechanicky said,“If they weren’t wearing Husky colors, they were wearing pink.” Many people dressed up for breast cancer as it was an easy way to support a good cause at the most populated game of the year.

My family members and my friends, we have a closer connection, because I cherish each day.”

— Ms. Wanous

Breast Cancer Awareness Month is important to show the struggles of having breast cancer. Having breast cancer can really change someone’s perspective about life. REACH teacher at OHS Ms Katie Wanous had breast cancer 12 years ago. Her body beat the cancer and she is striving to live her life to the fullest. Ms. Wanous said, “ My family members and my friends, we have a closer connection, because I cherish each day.” She cherishes every day because of the experiences she has been through. Ms. Wanous shares her journey to the woman’s health class in the month of October. The woman’s health class educates the student in the class about cancer. Ms. Wanous shares her story and help others in their journey.

Breast Cancer Awareness Month sheds light on breast cancer and gives confidence to people with breast cancer, or those close to them. 

Ande Hunt
Ande Hunt, Writer
Ande Hunt is a sophomore at OHS. This is Hunt’s first year on the Magnet staff. She is involved in Student Council, Marching Band, and Tennis. Hunt is also very involved in her church. Outside of school she enjoys shopping, playing ping pong, watching movies, and spending time with her family and friends. She joined Magnet to get better at her writing skills and to help her in  her future career as a journalist/news anchor. She is excited to be part of the OHS Magnet staff this year.