48 °
    47 °
    46 °
    46 °
    45 °
    44 °
    44 °
    44 °
    43 °
    43 °
    42 °
    41 °
    40 °
    40 °
    39 °
    38 °
    39 °
    42 °
    45 °
    48 °
    53 °
    57 °
    61 °
    64 °
    67 °
April 29
50°/ 43°
April 30
71°/ 38°
Moderate rain
May 1
69°/ 47°

Molly Achterkirch is a senior at OHS and this year will be her third year on Magnet. In school Achterkirch is involved in soccer, hockey, Younglife and Thriving Minds. Outside of school she works as a...

Jackson DeGrood is a senior at OHS. DeGrood loves playing Fortnite. In his freetime he plays Fortnite with senior Jayden Omangi. DeGrood’s favorite thing to do is catch a victory royale with fellas....

Blake Fitcher is a junior at Owatonna High School. Fitcher wanted to join Magnet because he wanted to try something new and different, as well as wanting to meet new people and work on his social skills....

48 °
    47 °
    46 °
    46 °
    45 °
    44 °
    44 °
    44 °
    43 °
    43 °
    42 °
    41 °
    40 °
    40 °
    39 °
    38 °
    39 °
    42 °
    45 °
    48 °
    53 °
    57 °
    61 °
    64 °
    67 °
April 29
50°/ 43°
April 30
71°/ 38°
Moderate rain
May 1
69°/ 47°

Averi Vetsch is a junior at Owatonna High School. This is her first year at Magnet. She is involved in DECA, Prom Committee and Young Life. She plays hockey and soccer. In Vetsch's free time, you can find...

Ramla Yussuf is a junior this year at OHS. This is her first year in magnet. In school, Yussuf is involved in Student Council, SHOC, Key Club, DECA and Link Crew. Outside of school she likes reading, watching...

Mitch Seykora is a senior at Owatonna High School. This will be his first year on the Magnet staff. He is involved in sports that include baseball and football. During his free time he likes to hang out...

OHS students show support for Rachel’s Light

Rachels Light is a non-profit agency and a shelter for women and children.
Designed by Crystal Garza
Rachel’s Light is a non-profit agency and a shelter for women and children.

The week of Nov. 13 students at OHS will be donating to Rachel’s Light, a charity organization, during their cash drive week. Rachel’s Light is a non-profit agency and a shelter where women and children are given opportunities to escape the struggles of homelessness. 

OHS Student Council chose three charities for the student body to vote on in order to make the donations during Cash Drive feel more personal. The options  were sent out to students on Oct. 23, 2023 and from there students voted and chose to donate to Rachels Light. Student council member Kate Sande said, “I think it was a great choice for us to donate the Cash Drive proceeds to. I think it’s an amazing charity that supports local women in our community to help get them back on their feet.”

Rachel’s Light gets its funds from grants and generous donations from many people and schools. During Cash Drive these donations will come from lunch fundraising, a pep rally, classroom competitions and more. 

This Organization has a mission to “instill faith and empower women experiencing homelessness to become self-sufficient by utilizing a strength-based approach.” Rachel’s Light first opened their living space during Sept. of 2019. The name of the organization comes from a woman in the bible who fails to become her best self, as to them it’s a guidance to let them know that they are cared for and will be helped. Another way they incorporated the bible into their organization was by naming the rooms in the house to be people of the Bible.

Rachel’s Light helps many live out their purpose when in need of help. Board member Amanda Starks said, “It’s important to have our youth understand how bad homelessness is… and having the youth come together.” OHS students have a goal of raising at least $1000 while they are actually aiming to raise $7000 towards this organization. 

Many students who had previously heard about them voted in order for OHS to choose to donate to them. Senior Olivia Flores said, “As I learned more and more about Rachel’s Light I thought it could be one of the most important places to donate to because anyone can be homeless.”  

Rachel’s Light hopes to grow their non profit and open new locations in the near future with the help of the Owatonna community. Starks said, “We know that we need to grow and service more because we see that it’s a need.” After a generous deal made to the organization allowing them to rent property at a low price, their housing of 11 beds is currently full but families are able to go on a waiting list.

Though it is hard to imagine that people in the community could be within the struggles of homelessness there are places in Owatonna to help. 

Rachel’s light can be contacted at: 507-451-1202

Crystal Garza
Crystal Garza, Writer
Crystal Garza is a senior this year at OHS. This will be her second year on Magnet as a writer. In school Garza is involved in Key Club, Link Crew, and Young Life. Outside of school Garza has a job at the Target Starbucks and babysits. Garza enjoys hanging out with her friends, family, and her dog Toby. Other than friends and family she spends money shopping, often rearranges her room, and likes to lay down to read a book while listening to music. Although her career path has changed throughout the years. In the future Garza would like to pursue a career in sports medicine, being a physical therapist or an athletic trainer. Garza joined Magnet to help her writing skills and get more involved in what's going on in OHS. Garza is looking forward to another fun year in Magnet.