53 °
    53 °
    53 °
    53 °
    51 °
    50 °
    50 °
    49 °
    49 °
    49 °
    48 °
    47 °
    48 °
    48 °
    50 °
    51 °
    52 °
    52 °
    53 °
    51 °
    50 °
    49 °
    48 °
    47 °
May 3
67°/ 44°
Sunny
May 4
53°/ 46°
Moderate rain
May 5
64°/ 42°
Sunny

Crystal Garza is a senior this year at OHS. This will be her second year on Magnet as a writer. In school Garza is involved in Key Club, Link Crew, and Young Life. Outside of school Garza has a job at...

Molly Achterkirch is a senior at OHS and this year will be her third year on Magnet. In school Achterkirch is involved in soccer, hockey, Younglife and Thriving Minds. Outside of school she works as a...

Ikhlas Haji is a junior at OHS this year. This is her first year in Magnet. Haji joined Magnet to get an idea of what might interest her in the future. She also joined to improve her writing and communication...

53 °
    53 °
    53 °
    53 °
    51 °
    50 °
    50 °
    49 °
    49 °
    49 °
    48 °
    47 °
    48 °
    48 °
    50 °
    51 °
    52 °
    52 °
    53 °
    51 °
    50 °
    49 °
    48 °
    47 °
May 3
67°/ 44°
Sunny
May 4
53°/ 46°
Moderate rain
May 5
64°/ 42°
Sunny

Ramla Yussuf is a junior this year at OHS. This is her first year in magnet. In school, Yussuf is involved in Student Council, SHOC, Key Club, DECA and Link Crew. Outside of school she likes reading, watching...

Magnet staffer 2023-24
Mariah Cuellar
Social Media Editor

Mariah Cuellar is a senior at OHS, this is her second year on Magnet staff. Cuellar will continue running the social media for Magnet this year. Cuellar is a part of the OHS cheerleading team and cheers...

Mitch Seykora is a senior at Owatonna High School. This will be his first year on the Magnet staff. He is involved in sports that include baseball and football. During his free time he likes to hang out...

Editorial: Building up women in Owatonna

Editorial+on+Cash+Drive+week+were+all+benefits+went+to+Rachels+Light.+
Design by Joanna Haggerty
Editorial on Cash Drive week were all benefits went to Rachel’s Light.

Last week, OHS collectively worked with Rachel’s Light Foundation and successfully raised money through a multitude of school events to help mothers and children in need. On Nov. 20, Rachel’s Light Foundation announced that $4,042.65 was raised for the organization. The donations went towards feeding, clothing, and supporting mothers along with their children. This event allowed the community of Owatonna to be dedicated to helping disadvantaged mothers and children.  

Before the final announcement of the total donations from the community of Owatonna, OHS students and staff members helped promote donations by hosting multiple events including  NHS Pickleball and the Basketball Extravaganza. The events that were centered around supporting families. These activities hosted by the OHS community proves that Owatonna supports uplifting women and children in need of help.

Strengthening the society of Owatonna involves caring for those in need. Structuring our town around helping disadvantaged women and children promotes the development of safe environments and shared opportunities. Owatonna encourages the community to have strong female leaders in the households, workforce, and community. The Steele County Foodline and Clothesline also looks to help the community and converged under the Community Pathways mission to supply basic necessities to families throughout the community. These Owatonna-based programs allow donations and fundraisers as a community response to the problem. This provides opportunities for mothers and children by supplying financial help, housing options, and workforce assistance. 

Steele County not only furnishes the needs of mothers, but also invites all women to connect with others by creating an outlet for women that are helpless and disadvantaged throughout the community. In particular, Women’s United  is a vessel for supporting women. It allows women to  ask for support, formulate a family aspect with others, and give them a voice to express their concerns and ideas. This shapes our community to accept all women, but also allows them to give back to the community. 

Supporting mothers claims that all women should have access to rightfully care for their families. But, due to our world’s multitude of circumstances, many have to depend on themselves for help. This demand for help was answered in Steele County because the community has a concise agreement that all women have the right to ask for help in times of despair and the community is more than willing to help.

Congratulations to the OHS student body and community for donating time, money, and support for this important cause of helping mothers in need. 

To further support the Steele County Community Pathways, visit their website and help through donations. 

Magnet Staff
Magnet Staff, OHS Tradition
We are an eclectic group of: Photographers, Critical Thinkers, Writers, Graphic Designers, Dreamers, Sometimes Snarky, Netflix Binge-ers, Coffee Addicts, Sports Fans, Prideful Owatonnas. Mostly, we are a family.  If interested in joining, stop by the Newsroom in B 103. Thanks for reading.