45 °
    45 °
    45 °
    46 °
    46 °
    46 °
    46 °
    46 °
    47 °
    47 °
    47 °
    47 °
    47 °
    46 °
    46 °
    46 °
    46 °
    46 °
    46 °
    47 °
    47 °
    47 °
    48 °
    48 °
    48 °
April 28
48°/ 45°
Moderate rain
April 29
49°/ 44°
April 30
68°/ 39°
Heavy rain

Ramla Yussuf is a junior this year at OHS. This is her first year in magnet. In school, Yussuf is involved in Student Council, SHOC, Key Club, DECA and Link Crew. Outside of school she likes reading, watching...

Ella Highfield is a senior at OHS, and it is her second year on Magnet staff. Outside of school she dances for Just For Kix dance studio. She is also involved in YoungLife, DECA, Link Crew, SHOC and Thriving...

Ethan Armstrong is a senior at Owatonna High School. He participates in baseball, football, Big Brothers Big Sisters, the musical and Concert Choir. He enjoys spending time with his family and friends,...

45 °
    45 °
    45 °
    46 °
    46 °
    46 °
    46 °
    46 °
    47 °
    47 °
    47 °
    47 °
    47 °
    46 °
    46 °
    46 °
    46 °
    46 °
    46 °
    47 °
    47 °
    47 °
    48 °
    48 °
    48 °
April 28
48°/ 45°
Moderate rain
April 29
49°/ 44°
April 30
68°/ 39°
Heavy rain

Asha Abdi is a sophomore this year at OHS. This year she is getting more involved with the extracurricular activities at school and joined DECA, Magnet, AVID, Orchestra, and Track. Outside of school, Abdi...

Magnet staffer 2023-24
Mariah Cuellar
Social Media Editor

Mariah Cuellar is a senior at OHS, this is her second year on Magnet staff. Cuellar will continue running the social media for Magnet this year. Cuellar is a part of the OHS cheerleading team and cheers...

Lexie Klecker is a junior at Owatonna High School. This is her first year on OHS Magnet. Klecker joined Magnet to improve her writing skills and get more involved at OHS. She is involved in Basketball,...

Concert tour films are becoming popular among Hollywood performers

Luca Gfrerer
Canva graphic displaying a theater screen with the names of concert films below.

A rising event in the entertainment industry is concerts and concert tours. These are opportunities for fans all over the world to see their favorite singers and artists perform live, but ticket prices are becoming increasingly expensive. Hollywood has taken notice of this issue and is working on making alternative options—concert films. 

Concert tours are films that showcase a live performance or performances from the perspective of an audience member. The movie scenes include all the actions, songs, and visuals that are seen at the actual concert; the only difference is that the audience is watching a screen in a theater. The purpose of these films is not only to capture moments from a specific performance but to offer a cheaper alternative for those who cannot afford concert tickets. 

One singer who is currently on tour and just released a concert film is Taylor Swift. On Oct. 13, 2023, Swift released “Taylor Swift: The Eras Tour” in theaters worldwide, and it made over $200 million in ticket sales. If simply creating a film for theaters was not enough, Swift also announced on Nov. 27 that the movie would be available to stream at home starting Dec. 13—Swift’s birthday and a common date for her to make announcements and releases. The film streams on Vudu, Amazon Prime, Apple TV, Xfinity and YouTube for $19.89—Taylor Swift’s birth year. Additionally, she revealed that the streaming version of the film will include three performances not shown in theaters: The Archer, Wildest Dreams, and Long Live. To read more on the film, visit the OHS Magnet article, Are you ready for it?.

Despite the fact that many fans went to see the movie in theaters, the excitement and anticipation is still high as they wait for the moment they can stream it at home. Senior Kayleigh Norbeck said, “I was so excited to find out that I could see the Eras Tour without having to pay for tickets.”

Another Hollywood star who is releasing a concert film is Beyoncé. “Renaissance: A Film by Beyoncé” was available to see in theaters on Dec. 1, 2023. So far, the film has made around $36 million worldwide. A few publications have said, “Renaissance is a great way to spread racial pride, seeing as Beyoncé is a woman of color.” Paraphrased from Time, the three hour film puts together moments from each of her 56 tour stops, and includes rehearsals, planning, personal life, and interviews. Currently, there are no plans beyond theater showings. Senior Ava Carroll said, “I think it is a great idea because there are people who cannot afford tickets but they still get the opportunity to see the concert through a screen.”

It is the hope that the concert films being made now will inspire others to do the same. Not only will this be more accessible, but it will allow more people to become fans of famous artists and it shows that those artists care about fans. These films bring enjoyment and entertainment for all viewers worldwide.

To stream  “Taylor Swift: The Eras Tour”, visit Vudu, Amazon Prime, Apple TV, Xfinity and YouTube. To buy tickets for “Renaissance: A Film by Beyoncé”, visit Beyoncé’s official website.  

Luca Gfrerer
Luca Gfrerer, Writer
Luca Gfrerer is a senior at OHS. This is her second year being a part of Magnet. Gfrerer decided to join Magnet because she has an interest in journalism and wants to improve her writing skills. She is involved in band, dance and colorguard and is a manager for the school's football team. Outside of school, Gfrerer enjoys reading, listening to music, watching movies and hanging out with her friends.