46 °
    45 °
    45 °
    45 °
    46 °
    46 °
    46 °
    46 °
    46 °
    47 °
    47 °
    47 °
    47 °
    47 °
    46 °
    46 °
    46 °
    46 °
    46 °
    46 °
    47 °
    47 °
    47 °
    48 °
    48 °
48°/ 45°
49°/ 44°
68°/ 39°
Heavy rain

Ella Highfield is a senior at OHS, and it is her second year on Magnet staff. Outside of school she dances for Just For Kix dance studio. She is also involved in YoungLife, DECA, Link Crew, SHOC and Thriving...

Magnet Staffer 2023 - 2024
Joanna Haggerty
Web Designer

Joanna Haggerty is a junior this year at OHS. This year she is an active member of the OHS community. She is involved in DECA, Students for Life Club, Big Brothers Big Sisters, Girls tennis and is a new...

Ande Hunt is a sophomore at OHS. This is Hunt’s first year on the Magnet staff. She is involved in Student Council, Marching Band, and Tennis. Hunt is also very involved in her church. Outside of school...

46 °
    45 °
    45 °
    45 °
    46 °
    46 °
    46 °
    46 °
    46 °
    47 °
    47 °
    47 °
    47 °
    47 °
    46 °
    46 °
    46 °
    46 °
    46 °
    46 °
    47 °
    47 °
    47 °
    48 °
    48 °
48°/ 45°
49°/ 44°
68°/ 39°
Heavy rain

Lauren Kubicek is a junior at Owatonna High School. This is her first year on the Magnet staff. She is involved in many activites at the school inluding the Owatonna Dance Team, DECA, BBBS and Student...

Chloe Gfrerer is a sophomore at OHS. It is her first year in Magnet. She decided to join to improve her journalism skills because she has an interest in journalism. She also got told that it is a great...

Lexie Klecker is a junior at Owatonna High School. This is her first year on OHS Magnet. Klecker joined Magnet to improve her writing skills and get more involved at OHS. She is involved in Basketball,...

Editorial: You define your character

The+problematic+relationship+between+self-imposed+and+imposed+standards+leads+to+the+focus+on+students+character+as+a+solution.+
Design by Jace Forcelle
The problematic relationship between self-imposed and imposed standards leads to the focus on students’ character as a solution.

At OHS, students every day seem pressured to develop and conform to self-imposed and imposed standards. However, the relationship between the standards extends to a larger issue.

Students’ relationships with self-imposed standards are influenced by the standards forced on them in clubs, sports, and classes.

When students participate in curricular and extracurricular activities–academics, sports and clubs; students are forced to meet the expectations inflicted by the activities. Furthermore, students proceed to center themselves around the expectation of generalized standards to develop their characters instead of referring to themselves. 

Students’ relationship relationship with expected-standards extends to self-imposed standards. Students conform to the standards society enforces. Moreover, students look to exceed the expectations of the imposed standards to perfect their character.

Students should refer to themselves to develop their character by analyzing their actions, beliefs and passions while maintaining a relationship with the imposed standards of their worth.

In other words, we–as students–can imitate and conform to expectations from ourselves and others, but these reflections are not who we are and don’t define us. We all have our own unique personalities.

This editorial was originally published in the January Print Edition.

Magnet Staff
Magnet Staff, OHS Tradition
We are an eclectic group of: Photographers, Critical Thinkers, Writers, Graphic Designers, Dreamers, Sometimes Snarky, Netflix Binge-ers, Coffee Addicts, Sports Fans, Prideful Owatonnas. Mostly, we are a family.  If interested in joining, stop by the Newsroom in B 103. Thanks for reading.