56 °
    54 °
    52 °
    50 °
    49 °
    48 °
    47 °
    46 °
    45 °
    45 °
    44 °
    46 °
    48 °
    51 °
    54 °
    56 °
    59 °
    61 °
    62 °
    63 °
    64 °
    64 °
    65 °
    64 °
    62 °
May 28
60°/ 47°
Moderate rain
May 29
65°/ 44°
Sunny
May 30
69°/ 49°
Sunny

Jackson DeGrood is a senior at OHS. DeGrood loves playing Fortnite. In his freetime he plays Fortnite with senior Jayden Omangi. DeGrood’s favorite thing to do is catch a victory royale with fellas....

Luca Gfrerer is a senior at OHS. This is her second year being a part of Magnet. Gfrerer decided to join Magnet because she has an interest in journalism and wants to improve her writing skills. She is...

Lexie Klecker is a junior at Owatonna High School. This is her first year on OHS Magnet. Klecker joined Magnet to improve her writing skills and get more involved at OHS. She is involved in Basketball,...

56 °
    54 °
    52 °
    50 °
    49 °
    48 °
    47 °
    46 °
    45 °
    45 °
    44 °
    46 °
    48 °
    51 °
    54 °
    56 °
    59 °
    61 °
    62 °
    63 °
    64 °
    64 °
    65 °
    64 °
    62 °
May 28
60°/ 47°
Moderate rain
May 29
65°/ 44°
Sunny
May 30
69°/ 49°
Sunny
Magnet staffer 23-24
Raeghen Murry
photographer

Raeghen Murry is a senior at Owatonna High School. This is her second year being involved in Magnet. Murry is involved with Track and Field in the spring. She is also involved with her church and the youth...

Crystal Garza is a senior this year at OHS. This will be her second year on Magnet as a writer. In school Garza is involved in Key Club, Link Crew, and Young Life. Outside of school Garza has a job at...

Andres Contreras is a senior at OHS this year. This is his second year in Magnet, this year he will take the role of editor and writer. Contreras is involved in Younglife and Wyldlife outside of school....

Editorial: You define your character

The+problematic+relationship+between+self-imposed+and+imposed+standards+leads+to+the+focus+on+students+character+as+a+solution.+
Design by Jace Forcelle
The problematic relationship between self-imposed and imposed standards leads to the focus on students’ character as a solution.

At OHS, students every day seem pressured to develop and conform to self-imposed and imposed standards. However, the relationship between the standards extends to a larger issue.

Students’ relationships with self-imposed standards are influenced by the standards forced on them in clubs, sports, and classes.

When students participate in curricular and extracurricular activities–academics, sports and clubs; students are forced to meet the expectations inflicted by the activities. Furthermore, students proceed to center themselves around the expectation of generalized standards to develop their characters instead of referring to themselves. 

Students’ relationship relationship with expected-standards extends to self-imposed standards. Students conform to the standards society enforces. Moreover, students look to exceed the expectations of the imposed standards to perfect their character.

Students should refer to themselves to develop their character by analyzing their actions, beliefs and passions while maintaining a relationship with the imposed standards of their worth.

In other words, we–as students–can imitate and conform to expectations from ourselves and others, but these reflections are not who we are and don’t define us. We all have our own unique personalities.

This editorial was originally published in the January Print Edition.

Magnet Staff
Magnet Staff, OHS Tradition
We are an eclectic group of: Photographers, Critical Thinkers, Writers, Graphic Designers, Dreamers, Sometimes Snarky, Netflix Binge-ers, Coffee Addicts, Sports Fans, Prideful Owatonnas. Mostly, we are a family.  If interested in joining, stop by the Newsroom in B 103. Thanks for reading.