46 °
    46 °
    45 °
    44 °
    44 °
    44 °
    43 °
    43 °
    42 °
    41 °
    40 °
    40 °
    39 °
    38 °
    39 °
    42 °
    45 °
    48 °
    53 °
    57 °
    61 °
    64 °
    67 °
    69 °
    69 °
April 29
50°/ 43°
April 30
71°/ 38°
Moderate rain
May 1
69°/ 47°

Asha Abdi is a sophomore this year at OHS. This year she is getting more involved with the extracurricular activities at school and joined DECA, Magnet, AVID, Orchestra, and Track. Outside of school, Abdi...

Oran Dowling is a senior at Owatonna High School, this is his first year being on Magnet Staff. He enjoys being in track, football, and Deca. He likes spending time with his friends and family, being outdoors,...

Molly Achterkirch is a senior at OHS and this year will be her third year on Magnet. In school Achterkirch is involved in soccer, hockey, Younglife and Thriving Minds. Outside of school she works as a...

46 °
    46 °
    45 °
    44 °
    44 °
    44 °
    43 °
    43 °
    42 °
    41 °
    40 °
    40 °
    39 °
    38 °
    39 °
    42 °
    45 °
    48 °
    53 °
    57 °
    61 °
    64 °
    67 °
    69 °
    69 °
April 29
50°/ 43°
April 30
71°/ 38°
Moderate rain
May 1
69°/ 47°

Averi Vetsch is a junior at Owatonna High School. This is her first year at Magnet. She is involved in DECA, Prom Committee and Young Life. She plays hockey and soccer. In Vetsch's free time, you can find...

Magnet Staffer 2023-24
Jose Rosas
Editor-in-Chief

Jose Rosas is a senior at the OHS this year. This is his third year in Magnet. He joined because he enjoyed journalism his freshman year and thought Magnet would be a fun learning experience. Outside of...

2024 prom theme: Meet us at midnight

Aza Lewis
    OHS 2024 Prom Theme

As prom is nearing, the Prom Committee and parents have been working hard to plan details to make the night unforgettable for Owatonna High School students. This year’s theme is “Meet Me at Midnight” which includes an elegant and majestic feel under the twinkling stars. 

Ms.Marilyn Olson is the head adviser of the Prom Committee. Olson is an OHS Stride teacher and co-adviser of Best Buddies. Olson has been involved in the prom process for 11 years and has a good grasp of how the process works. 

Ms. Olson said, “It starts months before.” Multiple factors go into prom, like figuring out details for food, decorations, help and submitting orders. 

The senior head of the Prom Committee, Kate Sande, described the theme as “sparkly” and “classy.” Preparation for the dazzling night starts months ahead as upperclassmen students are assigned roles to create and plan what they want the theme, “Meet Me at Midnight,” to entail. This will include shades of blue, moons, clouds, stars and flowy draping. 

There will be five different stops as students walk throughout the Grand March to take pictures. Each stop will be designed differently and will incorporate the theme they chose. Once each group, based on one of the five stops, has a plan and knows what they want their stop to look like, the prom committee works closely and uses their resources with the woods classes, other schools and past decorations, as they bring their stop to life. 

Prom is on April 27, and the Grand March will occur at the Four Seasons Arena at 8 p.m. This is an hour later than last year. Students are required to arrive early to get in line before Grand March starts. Grand March will be from roughly 8 p.m. to 9:30 p.m., and After Prom will be held at Owatonna High School right after Grand March from 10:30 p.m. until 2 a.m. 

Students can purchase tickets from April 16– 24.

Aza Lewis
    Aza Lewis, Writer
    Aza Lewis is a junior at Owatonna High School this year. This is her first year as a Magnet Staff. Lewis is involved in DECA, and Big Brothers Big Sisters. Lewis also spends much of her time dancing competitively outside of school for a studio. Lewis enjoys hanging out with friends, shopping, and working out. Lewis hopes for the future to be on a college dance team and pursue her passion in sports medicine. Lewis is excited to see her progress in writing and see what it takes to be in Magnet and also all the behind-the-scenes work of Magnet.