46 °
    46 °
    45 °
    44 °
    44 °
    44 °
    43 °
    43 °
    42 °
    41 °
    40 °
    40 °
    39 °
    38 °
    39 °
    42 °
    45 °
    48 °
    53 °
    57 °
    61 °
    64 °
    67 °
    69 °
    69 °
50°/ 43°
71°/ 38°
May 1
69°/ 47°

Aurora Sim is a junior this year at OHS, and this is her first year on Magnet. Aurora enjoys writing, reading, and dancing. Outside of school she is in Just For Kix dance studio and The Studio in Kasson....

Crystal Garza is a senior this year at OHS. This will be her second year on Magnet as a writer. In school Garza is involved in Key Club, Link Crew, and Young Life. Outside of school Garza has a job at...

Magnet Staffer 2023 - 2024
Joanna Haggerty
Web Designer

Joanna Haggerty is a junior this year at OHS. This year she is an active member of the OHS community. She is involved in DECA, Students for Life Club, Big Brothers Big Sisters, Girls tennis and is a new...

46 °
    46 °
    45 °
    44 °
    44 °
    44 °
    43 °
    43 °
    42 °
    41 °
    40 °
    40 °
    39 °
    38 °
    39 °
    42 °
    45 °
    48 °
    53 °
    57 °
    61 °
    64 °
    67 °
    69 °
    69 °
50°/ 43°
71°/ 38°
May 1
69°/ 47°

Owen Smith is a senior at OHS this year, this is his first year in Magnet. He joined Magnet because he wants to be a voice for the student body of OHS and enjoys writing about sports. Smith is involved...

Magnet Staffer 2023-24
Jose Rosas
Editor-in-Chief

Jose Rosas is a senior at the OHS this year. This is his third year in Magnet. He joined because he enjoyed journalism his freshman year and thought Magnet would be a fun learning experience. Outside of...

Magnet Staffer 2023-2024
Jayden Omangi
Photographer

Jayden Omangi is a senior at OHS this year. This will be Omangi’s second year in Magnet. He came back because he enjoyed his first year as a writer and photographer. Omangi is involved in Soccer, Deca,...

Upgraded security system at OHS

Office staff member Ms. Megan Rosenau viewing the cameras placed through out the building.
Asha Abdi

I feel like it’s a good thing but as long as the cameras are not an invasion of privacy. It’s a very good thing to be able to see what other people are doing for our own safety

— McKayla Selle

The new school comes with new security being upgraded from the old security system. To improve and insure more safety upon students. To make sure that everything during the school day is going to be a safe environment.

Some of the new security measures are cameras inside the building and in the school parking lot, monitors outside of the cafeteria during lunch hours and certain bathrooms have been closed down throughout certain time periods of the day. There is now a check in and out system when students leave the school grounds during lunch, Hybrid, ect. They must check in and out when entering and leaving so the staff can know where they are if they need to be accounted for.

Staff enjoys the new system because it makes things go more accordingly. OHS Student Supervisor Brandon Noble states, “I think the system works because there are a lot of times that parents or staff need to get a hold of a certain student, and if it’s their lunch time, then we have no idea where they are sometimes.” It started as a QR code on a piece of paper on the cafeteria doors in the beginning of fall this year. The article QR Code replaces “Blue Pass”  explains it further. Advancing from that point students can now sign out of an electronic device in the office. 

As of new security being added onto our chromebooks and online there has only been a few minor changes to Google. Technology Specialist Dawson Drentlaw states, “The only noticeable difference that I can think of is the change of policy that Google has done and still actively doing, about third-party apps. At the most this may have caused a few apps or extensions to change or be removed based on the district’s privacy and security policies.” This benefits students and it ensures more safety for the students. 

This helps students because it ensures that they are doing what they are supposed to be. There is less opportunity for them to skip class or ditch school. The reason for that are the locations of the new cameras inside and outside of the building. Sophomore McKayla Selle said, “I feel like it’s a good thing but as long as the cameras are not an invasion of privacy. It’s a very good thing to be able to see what other people are doing for our own safety.” The cameras have been a big benefit to the school because it keeps the students feeling safe and the staff feeling secure that the students are being accounted for. 

With a new school comes more advances to technology and safety. These security measures are helping students be attentive and following the three OT’s. As of this far into the year, the staff and students believe the security system is working and helping benefit everyone in the building.

Asha Abdi
Asha Abdi, Writer
Asha Abdi is a sophomore this year at OHS. This year she is getting more involved with the extracurricular activities at school and joined DECA, Magnet, AVID, Orchestra, and Track. Outside of school, Abdi likes to play her instrument in a trio at weddings, hangout with friends, spend time with family, and has recently gotten a job. She joined OHS Magnet because she wants to make a career out of writing and to improve her writing skills.