Girls tennis wrap up

October 15, 2014

The Owatonna Girls tennis team has finished their season. Their overall record was 18-5, second in the conference. Number one singles player, senior captain Briana Hartmann finished with a regular season score of 27-4. Number two singles, junior Tessa Rarhick finished with a record of 24-8. Number three singles, junior Macey Tellijohn finished the season with a record of 22-10. Number one doubles, juniors Millie Wanous and Paige Janka, completed their season with a record of 14-16. Number two doubles, junior Meghan Schuler and sophomore Katlin Anderson, finished with a record of 20-9. Number three doubles, senior Maiah Tellijohn and sophomore Gabi Deml finished their season with a 16-10 record.

The team finished second in the Big 9. This was the first time they brought home a trophy since 1991. In section play, the team won the first round against Albert Lea with a score of 7-0. They played Rochester John Marshall in the second round and won 7-0. In the section semi- finals, the Owatonna team played Northfield and won 5-2. The section finals were played against Rochester Mayo. Owatonna lost  7-0.

Individual section play began on Thursday, Oct. 9. Hartmann was the only player to make it to the final round of sections. “I hope to make it to state again and my number one goal is to win the section championship,” says senior captain Hartmann. She played Rochester John Marshall in the semi- finals on Tuesday, Oct. 14 and won 3-0. In the final round of individual play, Hartmann played Rochester Mayo and beat her 3-0. Congratulations on making it to state.