Spring sports preview

March 26, 2015

It is spring sports time at Owatonna High School, and all teams are ready to get started. Baseball, softball, boys and girls lacrosse, boys and girls golf, boys tennis and boys and girls track all have something to prove as captain’s practice and regular practices begin.

Boys baseball is looking to rebound from a disappointing end to last year’s season. “We need to remain consistent and focused all year to get to where we want to be,” said head coach Tate Cummins. The Huskies were upset by Fairbault in sections last year. “I’m looking forward to what this team can do this year, it’s going to be a lot of fun,” said senior captain Nick Medo. The boys first home game is April 7 at 5 P.M. Softball also returns to the field soon. “I’m just excited to see our girls improve and have fun this year, hopefully that shows on the scoreboard,” said head coach Brian Pilcher. Their first home game is April 9 at 5 p.m.

Lacrosse practice is starting as well. The boys team is anxious to exceed expectations. “We lost a lot of seniors from last year, so it will be exciting to see how our team responds and guys step up,” said head coach Scott Seykora. Due to the loss of many senior starters last year, the team has a lot of kids ready to prove themselves. “Well, it’s definitely a rebuilding year, so it will be cool to see how we improve,” said senior captain Seth Huseby. The Huskies’ first home game is April 18 at 3:00 p.m.

The girls team is very excited for their season to start, too. “I can’t wait to get on the field and see what these girls can do this year,” said head coach Bill Bernard. The girls are also going into the season after losing a lot of seniors last year, but nobody seems to be worried about it. “I’m really looking forward to seeing what the team can all do without last years seniors. I know we are going to kick butt and have fun doing it,” said senior captain Kayla Kniefel. The girls first home game is April 18 at 7:30 p.m.

We are going to be good at a lot of different events. It’s going to be a fun year

— Head coach Kevin Stelter

Both track teams have started practicing, and there are many new athlete who came out this year to participate. Boys track has a lot of seniors looking to do very well, as it is their last year and season of varsity sports. “I’m just really excited to go out and compete. It’s my last varsity sport in high school, I want it to be worthwhile,” said senior Jake Gallagher. Not only are the seniors looking to lead and perform, but they’re aware that the team this year has a good overall skillset in every event. “We are going to be good at a lot of different events. It’s going to be a fun year,” said head coach Kevin Stelter. The boys first home meet is April 9 at 3:30 p.m.

Girls track has a lot of different strengths this year, as well. “It’s always an exciting time of the season when practices start because you can see the talent on the team,” said head coach Ann Christensen. As with most seniors, they want to have a fun, successful season because for many it will be their last. “I’m most excited to be with the girls for my last season on the team,” said senior captain Sydney Kasper. The girls first home meet is also on April 9 at 3:30 p.m.

Boys golf is looking to continue their excellence in the Big 9 this year. “It’s going to be a fun year. I hope we can translate that into a lot of success,” said head coach Keith Bangs. Senior Pete Jones is anxious to get going. “I’m looking forward to being a leader this year and setting a good example for our team,” said Jones. The boys first home match is April 14 at 2:30 p.m. at the Owatonna Country Club.

Girls golf, led by their seniors, can’t be more ready for the season to start. “This season is going to be fun, I can’t wait to get it going,” said head coach Tim Hunst. A familiar theme with the spring teams this year, the seniors want to make their last sport memorable. “I am looking forward to being with all the girls again and having fun on the van rides to and from all the meets,” said senior captain Anna Edel. The girls first home match is April 16 at 2:30 p.m. at the Owatonna Country Club.

After waiting for the snow to clear off the courts, the boys tennis is ready to go. They know they can improve upon their successful season last year. “I’m looking forward to having fun with these guys and improving from last year,” said senior captain Ethan Schultz. Head coach Curt Matejcek realizes his teams’ potential. “We have a great group of kids and I’m excited to see how this season plays out,” said Matejcek. The boys first home meet is on April 7 at 4:15 p.m.

Hopefully, all the teams can keep up the excitement and confidence they have right now throughout the season, leading to success. Good luck!

Magnet • Copyright 2024 • FLEX WordPress Theme by SNOLog in