Communication is key to Huskies success

April 30, 2015

Grant Wehseler holding the runner on base

Isaac Rocha pitching the ball
Isaac Rocha pitching the ball

Owatonna Baseball is off to a decent start in conference play with a record of 4-3, but the team and coaches know there’s still a lot to improve on. Head Coach Tate Cummins said, “We need to get better at communicating and having a mental toughness throughout the whole game, there hasn’t been a game yet where we have put everything together. We need to do all the little things right to beat the better teams. If we do that, we have a great chance to win every night.” The Huskies are coming off three straight losses to Rochester John Marshall, Northfield, and John Marshall again. Only the last game against John Marshall counted towards the team’s conference record due to the new scheduling this year. The losses hurt, but everyone knows the overall goal is to be playing the best ball at the end of the season. Senior Grant Wehesler said, “We know what we need to do the rest of the season to improve and make the right adjustments. It’s just a matter of going out there and making them before it’s too late.” Owatonna’s next game is at home against the team’s biggest rival, Faribault, on Thursday at 5 p.m. The home game will be played at Dartt’s Park. This game will count towards the Huskies’ conference record.