Buckle Up, Huskies! It’s Homecoming Time

As leaves turn colors and letter jackets are worn for football games, the students of OHS anticipate a loved tradition: Homecoming. The fall spirit week, which is planned by members of the junior class, is highly respected by the city of Owatonna. Assistant Student Council adviser Mr. Alek Prafke said, “Homecoming is a relic of a different time in America. People in Owatonna like what it stands for.” Homecoming week begins Monday, Sept. 28, and goes through Saturday, Oct. 3. The theme this year is “OHS Road Trip.”

To show school spirit OHS students will dress up for spirit days. Students will come to school in their pajamas on Monday with the theme of “And We’re Off,” the start of the road trip. On Tuesday, students will “Walk the Red Carpet in Hollywood” in formal clothes. On Wednesday, we will “See Ya’ll in Nashville” for western day. It is “American Pride in D.C.” day on Thursday, with students wearing red, white and blue. And the “Huskies are Back in Town” on Friday, with blue and silver day.

Homecoming committee is also selling spirit beads this year. They will be sold during the week of Homecoming at all lunches, priced at $0.50 for one and $1.00 for three.  On Saturday, OHS students will have a “Party in the U.S.A.” at the semi-formal dance, which is at the OJHS from 9:00 p.m. to midnight.

Front Row: Hannah Cochlin, Emma Smith, Maria Golberg, Zoe Kienholz and Grace McClintock Back Row: Austin Abbas, Ryan Guenther, Tyler Kain, Joe Belina and Lucas Arndt
Front Row: Hannah Cochlin, Emma Smith, Maria Golberg, Zoe Kienholz and Grace McClintock
Back Row: Austin Abbas, Ryan Guenther, Tyler Kain, Joe Belina and Lucas Arndt

There are many events planned for the community to participate in during Homecoming week.  King and Queen Coronation is on Monday, Sept. 28, at 7:30 p.m. in the OHS auditorium; Admission is $5.00, with no acceptance of activity passes. Powder Puff Football is on Wednesday, Sept. 30, at 8:00 p.m. at the OHS football field, with either a canned food donation or a $2.00 donation towards the food shelf for admittance. The annual parade is Friday, Oct. 2, at 1:30 p.m. in downtown Owatonna. Huskies Football will host the Trojans of New Prague Friday night at 7 p.m. with a royalty presentation at halftime. This year’s Junior Homecoming Royalty will be elementary-aged youth involved with Big Brothers- Big Sisters, the community peer-helping organization.

An event that reflects the Class of 2016 is the Coronation of Homecoming King and Queen. The seniors narrowed their 338 classmates down to 12 king candidates and 12 queen candidates. The seniors then voted for five. On Tuesday, Sept. 22, the sophomores through seniors will vote for their king and queen. Top 12 candidate Joe Belina said, “I’m anxious to have a first and last hurrah before high school is over.”

Homecoming is typically a time for alumni to come home, but truly in Owatonna, it’s about celebrating our community and carrying on the tradition. Mr. Prafke said, “Owatonna enjoys its traditions. While the world is smaller and we don’t need homecoming to keep in touch with our classmates and loved ones, the tradition and what it represents to the community continues to be very strong. People enjoy a reason to celebrate, and our school’s spirit tied with our community brings out the best.”

Tradition truly is valued in Owatonna, with the community unifying throughout this spirit week.