Sack cancer fundraiser goes local

Photo Submitted

This is the official logo for Owatonna Huskies Sack Cancer. Shirts can be purchased in the career center

Maria Golberg, Writer

It has been a tradition in Owatonna for the past several years for the Owatonna High School Football team to partner with the Minnesota Football Coaches Association and Randy Shaver’s Cancer Research fund for the “Huskies Tackle Cancer” fundraiser. This year, the name of the fundraiser has been changed to “Huskies Sack Cancer”. The proceeds will be kept local, being split between From The Heart and Owatonna Relay for Life, two non-profit organizations who support Owatonna families battling cancer. The coordinator of this event, Nancy Williams said, “Some community members came to me and asked about doing it for local families. We want to impact families right here in our community, and people are more inclined to donate when they know the person.”

Over the past four years, the Owatonna Football Team along with OHS and the high school cheerleaders have raised over $2,400 between school donations and the football fan donations. Last year alone, OHS students and staff raised over $700. Mrs. Williams said, “In addition this year, we will be selling t-shirts. Last year, we received $2,400 without the shirts. I am hoping we reach $2,300 this year which will really help the families, but really any amount is great.”

To purchase a “Huskies Sack Cancer” t-shirt, fill out an order form in the Career Center at OHS. Shirts cost $10, and payments are due at the time of the order. Cash is accepted, and checks can be made out to the Owatonna Quarterback Club. T-shirt orders will be taken until Tuesday, Oct. 6. Students are to wear their t-shirt to school Friday, Oct. 9, and to the football game that night which will be a “white out.” There will also be a “dash for cash” during TMM on Oct. 6. The TMM that raises the most money will receive a donut and juice party, compliments of Owatonna Football.

Remember to bring money to TMM on Tuesday, Oct. 6, and wear your t-shirt on Oct. 9, to support our local families who are battling cancer!