College Prep Info Meeting

Matt Summer, Writer

The Big Brothers-Big Sisters organization in Owatonna will be hosting a college prep panel on Monday, Oct. 12, from 6:30 p.m. to 7:30 p.m. in the OHS Small Group Forum. Topics covered will be financial aid, admissions, the Federated Challenge Scholarships and much more. There will a brief session on the basics of college admissions, the difference between grants and loans and the FAFSA form.

The event will consist of a panel made from representatives from Carleton College, South Central College and Riverland Community College. There will also be recent high school and college graduates on the panel telling their stories, as well as sharing information about the new Federated Challenge Scholarship. Megan Horton, the new College and Care “Littles” and high school “Bigs” that have been matched through the program for over eighteen months.  The scholarship works for any non-four year program at a trade or technical school or community college. Horton said, “Financial aid is a confusing and scary thing for a lot of people, and they want to bring some clarity to people on this topic by professionals in the field.”

This event is funded by the Minnesota Department of Employment and Economic Development (DEED). Its main purpose is to get young minds ready for the next step, regardless of what they choose to do after high school. If there is an opening in a busy schedule, stop by from 6:30 p.m. to 7:30 p.m. on Monday, Oct. 12.