Free apps!!!

(not food- college applications)

Sam Hylle, Writer

It is getting to be that time of year for seniors at the Owatonna High School- winter weather is approaching, fall sports teams are beginning their section runs, and students are into the grind of their first semester classes. MEA break allowed many OHS upper-classmen to visit colleges, resulting in a harsh reality check. Lucky for the senior procrastinators, it is College Knowledge month! During the week of Oct. 26-Nov. 1st, all college applications and high school transcripts are sent out for free. According to Mrs. Roxi Stewart, OHS counselor’s secretary, the goal of College Knowledge week is to “Provide support to all students preparing for their future.” One may think free applications and transcripts area not a big deal, but according to the US News and World Report, the average cost to send a college application is $37.88. Most students apply to multiple colleges, and the cost adds up fast.

Along with expensive applications, high school transcripts and ACT/SAT scores also need to be sent in. Needless to say, all students should utilize this opportunity given by the school this week. OHS senior Reed Tucker weighs in on the opportunity. Tucker said, “I still have a few applications to send, so I may as well do it this week for free. It’s just too good of a deal to pass up.” College Knowledge month takes the financial factor out of the college application process, leaving students with no excuse not to act. If there are any remaining questions, talk your counselor or Mrs. Stewart in the Career Center.