Owatonna FFA takes Louisville

photo submitted

OHS FFA members at the Kentucky Horse Park

Emily Glynn, Writer

In Louisville, KT, at the 88th FFA National Convention, 65,173 FFA members attended from all over the United States. This year, ten students and two advisors from the Owatonna chapter ventured to the convention on Tuesday, Oct. 27, after writing a paper on why they should be allowed to attend the conference, attending meetings and working many events. Students were also asked to raise money by going to local businesses to support their trip to convention. When asked about the purpose of taking students to a national convention, advisor Mrs. Liz Tinaglia said, “For them to grow in their leadership experiences and explore career opportunities.”

While on the long drive to Louisville, the bus took a detour and arrived in Fair Oaks, Indiana at Fair Oaks Farm to tour a major dairy operation. After arriving in Louisville, members were able to take a little rest before leaving to see Jake Owen, Maddie and Tae’s concert in the evening. During the next couple of days, as members would walk in a set of big glass doors at the convention center, they would be overwhelmed by the large amount of corduroy jackets.

Inside the big doors were various leading agriculture schools and businesses from across the United States for all members to enjoy and learn from. At the convention center, the FFA members listened to messages from national officers, as well as key speakers Brad Montague and Dr. Rick Rigsby. Rigsby spoke about needing to “make an impact, not just an impression.” Rigsby also encouraged students to stand up and be leaders because “America needs FFA!” The other key speaker was Brad Montague, the writer and director of the famous video series, “Kid President.” Some of the words that made an impact on some students were, “Keep sharing your voice. Your voice matters enough that your creativity isn’t purposeless, and you can use it to do some good.” The national convention taught members to be good citizens, helped them learn more about their futures, and bond with their chapters as well as other members from all over the United States.