Blocked at sections

Aidan Ebner, Writer

Senior co-captain Elise Oppegard and junior Lexi Langeland go up for a block against Mayo
Laura Bloomenrader

The number six seeded Owatonna Volleyball team’s season came to an end on Thursday, Nov. 5. In a game that the Huskies were the clear underdog, the girls were able to hold on to the number two seeded Spartans but came up short in a 3-1 loss. Senior captain Carli Langeland said, “Even though it was a loss, we fought until the end and played hard.” Owatonna dropped the first two sets to Mayo, but found determination in the third set to pull out a gutsy win. After that, it was all Mayo in the fourth set, ending the Huskies hopes of their season altogether. Junior Tori Urch said, “We played as a team throughout the whole game and walked away knowing we had left it all out there.”

The tradition of winning was not absent this year. The Huskies finished the season with a combined record of 18-12. Head coach Jason Kaytor said, “The girls learned to work as a team by trusting and believing in each other.” Bringing that teamwork and trust into the postseason, the girls cruised passed the John Marshall Rockets in the opening round of sections at home and found themselves in a game against Farmington. This was the high-point of their season. Urch said, “That was probably the highlight of our season and we will never forget it.” Pulling off a dominating victory with the Owatonna crowd behind them, they had their eyes set on the Section Championship. Langeland said,  “With being the underdogs and battling it out with them, it was the best feeling to get a win.” Unfortunately, a week later, number two seeded Mayo stood in their way to that goal. Coach Kaytor said, “We fought to the end and never gave up. Great effort was given from the team.”

With the season over, it was hard to say goodbye to the seniors that lead the way for a great season of volleyball. Urch said, “We had great seniors that we looked up to so much, and it’s going to be hard saying goodbye to them because of the friendships we have made throughout the years.” But with a huge return of juniors and sophomores to the varsity team next year, the hope for another great season is in their sights.