When’s the pepfest?

November 11, 2016

OHS takes pride in our success, or does it? We spend a lot of time preparing for the future with college fairs and planning in TMM. However, when we have something to celebrate, -like the football team making it to State- OHS chose not to do a whole school celebration.

OHS did not have a send off for the football team before the first round of the State Tournament. Magnet staff has been struggling with this as we believe this is the epitome of  achieving a goal. From the early mornings in the weight room over the summer, to the long Monday night practices until 7 p.m., the football team has spent many hours on and off the field trying to improve themselves and to make it to the state tournament with a chance to play in US Bank Stadium. The seniors especially have worked extremely hard on this for nearly four years all with the same vision. For the first time since 2013, Owatonna will be represented in the class 5A Minnesota State Football Tournament.  Is that not something worthy of celebration?

May we be reminded that in over 100 years of football being played at Owatonna, this is only the sixth team to win a section championship and to advance to represent the community on the State level.

Space was one of the reasons the school would not be able to host a send off due to the gym damage.  With unusually beautiful November weather, the football field would be able to accommodate as it did for the Homecoming Pepfest. The community support is booming, but where is the support from our school? This is unprecedented and has never happened before in school history. May we be reminded that in over 100 years of football being played at Owatonna, this is only the sixth team to win a section championship and to advance to represent the community on the State level.

Previously, administration has adjusted for space availability and typical protocol for the such needs. Even with the limited space, the OHS Boys Soccer State Send Off was well attended.  Students were there to support the team and understood the limitations of the space.  OHS celebrated with pride.  Pride in our school. Pride in our traditions.  This is not a tradition to drop.

Magnet would like to extend a good luck to the OHS Football Team as they continue on their vision at the State Tournament. See you on Saturday!