Congratulations Homecoming Top 5! Front Row left to right: Sydney Schultz, Jasmynn Stechmann, Margo Achterkirch, Rilee Schmidt, and Jamie Davison Top Row left to right: Bryce Knutson, Nicholas Hagen, Benjamin Stelter, Noah Budach,and Peyton Robb (Karson Madole)
Congratulations Homecoming Top 5! Front Row left to right: Sydney Schultz, Jasmynn Stechmann, Margo Achterkirch, Rilee Schmidt, and Jamie Davison Top Row left to right: Bryce Knutson, Nicholas Hagen, Benjamin Stelter, Noah Budach,and Peyton Robb

Karson Madole

Words of Gratitude from the 2017 Homecoming Court

September 22, 2017

A wave of honor and gratitude swept through the hearts of the recently elected Homecoming Top 5. The court consists of Margo Achterkirch, Rilee Schmidt, Jamie Davidson, Jasmynn Stechmann, Sydney Schultz, Bryce Knutson, Nicholas Hagen, Ben Stelter, Noah Budach, and Peyton Robb.

When asked about the general experience of being voted into the court, it was described by the group as being, “out of this world.”

“I feel honored to be a part of a tradition that has been around for a long time, and to be nominated by my peers makes it that much cooler.” -Ben Stelter

“It feels like peeling the plastic screen cover off a new phone.” -Peyton Robb

“I feel so honored to receive Top 5. It is an indescribable feeling to know that I have such an impact on the the student body and the fact that they view me as a kind and respectable peer means the world to me. Throughout high school, people always told me I was, “too nice,” to people and always tried to tell me how to be and act. I’m glad I never listened to those people, and always continued to treat others the way I’d like to be treated. Overall, genuinely amazing feeling.” -Jasmynn Stechmann

“It feels amazing to be in Top 5! I was honored to make Top 12 and now I am even more honored. It’s awesome to know that your peers recognize you for all that you have done. I am truly blessed.” -Rilee Schmidt

“It feels amazing, because it was a total surprise. I was genuinely caught off guard because I have always thought that HC royalty was a big popularity contest, but it really wasn’t. This years HC court is full of some incredible people with some pretty cool accomplishments. I feel very honored as well.” -Nicholas Hagen

The court had some creative and innovative ideas for making homecoming week as fun and inclusive for the student body as possible in years to come.

“I think that on the day of the of the game we could have games and food that kids could go to before the game.” -Ben Stelter

“I think that we should get a really good DJ each year, and it would be cool to have an after  prom for Homecoming.” -Sydney Schultz

“I think it would be cool if we could do more to boost school spirit throughout the week. This could include competitions between classes for who has the most participants in dress-up days, the best performance in powderpuff, and there could also be other activities that encourage students in school functions. The whole point of the week is to have fun and bring the school together, so trying to change dress-up days to reach a greater portion of the student body would be effective in my mind.” -Bryce Knutson

The court has shown many thanks. To you- the student body- they wish to state the following;

“Thank you so much. I’m so honored to be here. I’m grateful to be recognized by my peers.” -Jamie Davidson

“Thank you so much for voting for me! It’s such an incredible honor to know that my peers look up to me.” -Margo Achterkirch

“Thanks for all the mems, Class of 2018 rocks.” -Noah Budach

“I’d like to remind everyone to remain true to themselves and always remain kind to one another. Everyone has their own battles and no one should be the one to add to that struggle! Thank you again, OHS! Love you all.” -Jasmynn Stechmann

“I just want to say, to everyone out there, that regardless of your age, gender, race, religious affiliation, friend group, grades, or hobbies, there’s one thing that unites us. We are all made of atoms, we all take up space; therefore, we all matter. Keep pursuing your passions relentlessly. Never give up. And always remember that there is someone who cares about you and desperately wants you to succeed.” -Bryce Knutson.

The 2017 homecoming court is truly one for the books; each nominee shows immense appreciation and humility. We all wait for friday’s big reveal on who is this year’s homecoming King and Queen.  It looks like we’re in for a treat this year, good luck to all the candidates.

The all-school assembly will be on Monday. The crowning of the Homecoming King and Queen will be at that time.