Changes for Homecoming

September 22, 2017

As fall comes around, that means another homecoming week. This year there are a lot of changes. Instead of having the annual powderpuff game there will be a kickball game instead. Student Council Adviser Sandra Justice said, “There is no powderpuff this year because we had fifty students in the stands last year , we had more kids on the field playing than in the stands and that’s not really what it’s about. It’s about getting your community, getting your school’s body behind all of these activities and getting them out to watch and participate. We also had numerous coaches who would not allow their girls to play a contact sport, so we thought by changing it to kickball it’s no longer contact so it’s opens them up to being able to participate as well.” OHS senior Jasmynn Stechmann, who has been participating in powderpuff since freshman year said, “I’m super disappointed about it. Kickball is one of our newest traditions here at OHS, and it sucks to have powderpuff taken away so early. I feel like kickball isn’t going to be as successful as powderpuff has been.”

The kickball games are at Dartt’s Park on Monday, Sept.25th at 6:00 p.m. The entry fee this year is $1, or a can of food to donate to the Steele County Food Shelf.

Another thing new from last year’s homecoming activities is that the coronation ceremony is during the school day, rather than the evening because of the low number of students attending. Mrs. Justice said, “We decided that homecoming royalty are voted on by the students so it doesn’t make sense that they’re not apart of the actual crowning”. In past years students would have to pay $5 to enter in the coronation ceremony, there is no admission fee since the coronation will be held at the school. The coronation ceremony is on Monday, Sept. 25th during the pepfest in the gym at 9:45 a.m.

The homecoming theme this year is,“ Out of This World”. Lets try to make this homecoming one to remember. Don’t be afraid to shoot for the stars!