Filed under Showcase, Sports

Seniors prepare for battle

Football seniors prepare to make a return to the state tournament

Defense preparing for the next play

Defense preparing for the next play

Serena Omangi

Serena Omangi

Defense preparing for the next play

The OHS Football team has had quite the year with a section championship title and an undefeated season. The team is now feeling the pressure of state. There is no doubt that they are aware of the level at which they have to play. The team has played well all season, and this is evident by the Huskies scoring more than double their opponents during the regular season.

Nothing has been given to us yet, but we’re obviously not a bad team, so if we just keep working as a team and getting better each and every week we should be fine.

— Captain Joe Edel

As preparations are being made, the team knows they have to take the post season one game at a time. Head coach Jeff Williams said, “At this point in time, you just try to figure out a way to win the next game.” With the mentality of not thinking too far ahead, all the Huskies can do is watch film of the other team, and practice relentlessly. Senior captain Joe Edel said, “Nothing has been given to us yet, but we’re obviously not a bad team, so if we just keep working as a team and getting better each and every week we should be fine.”  The team is enduring late practices, lifting before school and maintaining the right state of mind as they are preparing themselves for Saturday, Nov. 10. Although the team needs to focus on the present, the team is looking forward to the journey back to the Bank. Senior Zander Johnson said, “Every day is a grind at this point. Seeing the work that you put in every day at practice pay off when you start winning game after game is rewarding.”

The seniors on the field have had some sentimental feelings the night of the section championship game with a win against Northfield 49-25. All-State Defense man and senior Chris Lewis said, “It’s our last time playing on this field. A lot of emotion went into this win tonight.” The senior class had come a long way since the beginning of their career. Lewis went on and said, “Going last year to win the state championship, and this year coming in we’d be undefeated section champs; I never thought that would happen.” The next game is the state quarterfinals against Chaska. The game will be held at TCO Performance Center in Eagan on Saturday Nov. 10 at noon. Ticket prices are $11 Adult and $7 Student.

Emily Maine, Writer

Emily Maine is junior at OHS. She’s involved in track and field, choir, link crew, and she works on the weekends. She spends her down time reading, watching...

• Seniors prepare for battle

Sports

Record breaking Huskies

• Seniors prepare for battle

Lending a helping hand

• Seniors prepare for battle

What you need to know for U.S. Bank Stadium

• Seniors prepare for battle

Features

The need for trade schools

• Seniors prepare for battle

Photo Gallery

Photo Gallery: State quarter-finals game