OHS looks to play for We All Play

The OHS Cash Drive has become an annual tradition in Owatonna. Students have the opportunity to participate in fun activities and raise money with a common goal in mind. This year OHS will be expanding the magnitude of the project by donating all proceeds locally. The OHS will be partnering with We All Play, an organization working to build a handicap inclusive playground and “miracle field” at Manthey Park in Owatonna. The idea behind this new playground is to support the development of all children physically, socially and intellectually. This can be made possible by having a play area that is accessible for someone who may be in wheelchair or that needs a walker. Being all inclusive, the playground will also have the ability to guide kids through sensory experiences, gross motor play and social interactions.

To help move this new project along, the cash drive goal will be $8,000. Last year’s student body managed to bring in $7,295 going to Dickinson high school in Texas, affected by Hurricane Harvey. In preparation, the OHS student run committee for the cash drive has planned a number of fun activities each day to fund raise.

Students wanting to participate in, or watch these different events must pay to do so. Friday, Nov. 30 at 7 p.m., OHS will be putting on the yearly Mangeant in the OHS auditorium where contestants participate in different games or contests for the audience. Monday, Dec. 3 is going to be Elementary Game Night from 8:00 to 10:00 p.m. in the OHS gymnasium. Thursday, Dec. 6 is the Art Splash, which will be held at Chill-Aqui coffee from 7:00 to 9:00 p.m. and Friday, Dec. 7 from 9:00 to 12:00 p.m. will be the OHS Ugly Sweater Dance.

With all proceeds going out to better the community of Owatonna, students and staff can feel good about the hard work and preparation that goes into planning a cash drive like this. Student council adviser Mrs. Sandra Justice said, “I like getting involved with students who I wouldn’t know otherwise and I like seeing kids do right by each other.” While participating in these fun activities, students can learn lessons applicable to everyday life. OHS Cash Drive Chair Ashton Jensen said, “It teaches kids to pay it forward and help others.” The annual cash drive is a tradition that OHS hopes to continue for many years to come while benefiting those around the world.