What can OHS do to prepare students for the real world?

Principal Kory Kath holds different career pathways

Kaden Nelson, Writer

Owatonna Senior High School has redesigned the registration guide to connect various career pathways that students may follow after high school. They are blocked into four sections: business communications and info technologies, engineering manufacturing and agriculture, global electives and health and human sciences/services. All four of these sections contain many careers that fall under it and have associated OHS classes that will teach and develop crucial skills for that career path. Many new career based classes were added into the students’ class options including forensic science, advanced marketing – DECA prep, introduction into engineering and design and food, nutrition and fitness. Principal Kory Kath said, “We want students to recognize their skills and something in career pathways that interests them.” 

We want students to recognize their skills and something in career pathways that interests them.

— Principal Kory Kath

These newly added classes will help students discover their interests and expose them to their potential future career paths. If the 2019 bond referendum passes for the Owatonna community, additional classes focused on less popular careers will plan to be implemented into the curriculum for future students. If the new school does not pass, new opportunities will not be available for students. The same amount of opportunities that students have now will be the same in the future.

OHS has also created opportunities for students to take a capstone course throughout their high school years. A capstone is an opportunity for students to go beyond the regular requirements of a class they are taking, and create a connection between the classroom and community through independent projects. Capstones are targeted toward students who are passionate about a specific subject or looking to dive deeper into a class that reflects their chosen career path. Senior Seth Brewer said, “It’s a good practice and helps you to be more prepared for your desired career.” Capstone projects are predicted to grow within students, as it will give them an outlet to express their interests beyond the classroom curriculum, preparing them for their intended individual path after high school. Mr. Benson said, “It’s good to get the community involved with the school and it gets students more involved in the community.”

It’s good to get the community involved with the school and it gets students more involved in the community.

— Mr. Steve Benson

OHS additionally organized its eighth annual college and career day to provide students with knowledge and connections towards their future. College and career day also provided local businesses to interact with students and share internship and mentorship opportunities with them. Internships and mentorships through the community are efficient ways to allow students to experience a hands-on view in their desired career. Currently, students at OHS can connect with a mentor through the Owatonna Options program, however, more opportunities may be created in the future.