Instagram concerts

Designed by Ellie Youngquist

Tune into your favorite artists and bands on instagram live

Ellie Youngquist, Writer

Due to the shut down of stages, stadiums and other concert venues, artists are now turning to new platforms to reach their audience. As self-quarantining spreads across the country, social media platforms are the virtual connections that bring concerts to the fans themselves.

Instagram, Facebook and Twitter are just a few of the places artists and songwriters are once again interacting with their fans. Just like everyone else, artists are self-quarantining and doing their part to slow the spread of COVID-19. By streaming live concerts they are able to once again reach fans and deliver important messages to their followers. Senior Logan Risch is a student at OHS who has watched some of the live streams by artists he follows on Instagram. Risch says, “We can’t do much quarantined, so streams are a good way for the community to come together and have some entertainment while still staying distant.” The goal for many artists is to keep the energy for their would-be concerts alive and motivate their fans to stay strong during the quarantine.

Chris Martin of Coldplay took to Instagram Live on March 16 to play solo versions of the band’s hits. Martin is one of the first artists to take to social media performing, but since then many more have turned to live streaming platforms not just to entertain fanbases, but also encourage them to do their part in helping those affected by the shutdown. Cellist Yo-Yo Ma began posting videos on Twitter using the tag #SongsOfComfort encouraging others to share their own songs of comfort from their homes and bring peace in these times of uncertainty. He then began dedicating more videos to the healthcare and first responders working at the front lines.

Other artists and bands are doing the same thing, hosting streams and donation concerts in attempts to pay tribute and raise money for those being affected by shutdowns. Ryan Tedder of OneRepublic hosted a live stream on April 2 put on by Verizon’s #PayItForwardLive. Pay it Forward Live is a continuing event put on by Verizon that allots $2.5 million for each live concert. Every time the hashtag is used during the stream, money will be donated to small businesses in need. An upcoming two hour televised special, One World: Together at Home, will be aired on various networks. Hosted by Stephen Colbert, Jimmy Kimmel and Jimmy Fallon, the broadcast will air globally on Saturday, April 18 from 8-10 p.m. The special will be aired to acknowledge the efforts of community health workers, support the World Health Organization and raise funds for the global fight to end COVID-19. Artists scheduled to appear include: Lady Gaga, Paul McCartney, Lizzo, John Legend, Keith Urban, Stevie Wonder, Billie Eilish, Billie Joe Armstrong of Green Day, J Balvin and Elton John. More appearances will be made by athletes, comedians and stories from healthcare workers around the world.