Anna Herzog fulfilling her goal of playing soccer at UW-Stout

Anna+Herzog+getting+ready+to+steal+the+ball.+

Magnet Staff

Anna Herzog getting ready to steal the ball.

Lauryn Bateman, Writer

One thing that makes Anna so special is her competitiveness. She is always wanting to win and does great under pressure. She scored multiple game winning goals when the game was in overtime for our team. We knew we could always rely on her to finish the game!

— Nate Gendron

Senior Anna Herzog has always had the goal to play soccer in college. Herzog was given the opportunity to fulfill her goal in late July, early August of 2020, after she attended a soccer camp at the University of Wisconsin-Stout. Head coach of the UW-Stout girls soccer team, Ryan Raufus, attended many of Herzog’s soccer games after contacting her about joining the team. After seeing her performance, it was obvious that she would be a great addition to the team. 

Soccer has always been important to Herzog. Herzog said,“Sports in general teaches you things about yourself, and teaches you how to handle situations, the good and the bad ones.” The way Herzog presents herself on and off the field shows how much she loves and cares for not only soccer but also her teammates and coaches.

Nate Gendron, head coach of the Owatonna High School’s girls soccer team, said, “One thing that makes Anna so special is her competitiveness. She is always wanting to win and does great under pressure. She scored multiple game winning goals when the game was in overtime for our team. We knew we could always rely on her to finish the game!” 

Herzog assisted with four goals and scored seven herself during the season. She signed the letter of intent on Feb. 6, and is excited to see what lies ahead. Herzog said, “I’m really looking forward to narrowing my education, meeting new people, and developing a new team atmosphere. Going into a new environment not knowing anybody is super cool because you are so used to being with the same people in high school and then you get to branch out.” 

What makes someone a great teammate and player is their leadership qualities, their knowledge and love for their sport, and someone who is willing to do anything that they are asked to do. That is what makes Herzog such a huge aspect on the field because she possesses all the qualities of a great player. Senior and teammate Sydney Hunst sums it up well, “Anna is skilled and comfortable with the ball on her foot. Her confidence makes all of her teammates look better and she always gets her job done!” Herzog will be majoring in applied science and is excited for her future at the University of Wisconsin-Stout.