Owatonna gymnastics flipping to victory

Chase Martin, Writer

The girls gymnastics team at OHS have had a successful season and continue to do well, placing first at all meets except the Faribault Invite on Jan. 8, 2021, coming in second to the Wayzata Trojans with a 2.40 point differential. 

Thriving for more success, the team has been on top of their practices. Sophomore Emma Johnson said, “So far, the season has been going well. Our team is working hard.” Currently, the team’s top score for Varsity is 144.375 placing OHS first in the Big 9 conference and seventh in state.

All-around gymnasts, those who participate in all four events (bars, beam, floor and vault), Johnson and freshman Avery Roush, have been pushing themselves lately, doing well at their meets with each gymnast maintaining a 34.6 point average. Junior Kaitlyn Cobban has achieved a spot on the podium at every meet on beam with an average score of 8.994. There are still many meets to come and many records to be broken.

OHS Gymnastics Head Coach Evan Moe is very expectant for their upcoming meet. He said, “We have been practicing extensively and keeping our skills up to date.” The girls are hopeful for continuing their successful season. The next meet will be Thursday, Jan. 27, at Mankato K & G Gymnastics at 6:30p.m.