OHS Gymnastics twisting over the competition to earn a trip to state

Logan Norrid, Writer

OHS Varsity Girls Gymnastics team is ready to take on the challenge for the section The team has had many wins this season ending with a dual meet record of 7-1. They finished second in the Big 9.  Heading into sections they are ready to fight for their spot at the state competition, only the first place overall team gets to compete in the team competition and top two individual gymnasts move on to compete at the individual competition.

Not only are the gymnasts ready to go, but the coaches are too. Head coach Evan Moe said, “I am feeling pretty good, we constantly train throughout the year to peak at the post-season meets, such as conference, sections and state.” Owatonna’s varsity, in the meet against the Mankato East Cougars and the Mankato West Scarlets, posted a season high score of 145.350, which is a great score to be putting up at this point of the season.

Senior and captain Janessa Moore has been competing on the OHS Gymnastics team for six years. Moore’s favorite skill to compete is the pike suke on vault, she said, “It’s pretty easy I just do it and it’s usually very consistent, one and done.” This will not be Moore’s first time competing at big end of season meets, she has been part of many big nine champion teams. She has also competed at state before at the University of Minnesota. Moore said, “I am excited for how close the team gets now heading into these big meets. No matter what the outcome is, it’s a fun experience for all the girls, especially the younger ones.” This year Moore will compete on the bars and vault. 

The Huskies are looking to qualify for team state as well as send individuals to compete. They will compete at sections on Thursday, Feb. 10 at Rochester Mayo High School at 6 p.m.

During the section competition, the Huskies had four individuals qualify for the state tournament as well as winning sections and competing at the team competition held at the Roy Wilkins Auditorium in St. Paul, MN on Friday and Saturday, Feb. 18-19. The overall team score the Huskies put up was 142.60 just beating Farmington with a score of 142.350. The individual qualifiers include Emma Johnson (All Around), Josie Johnson (Vault), Kaitlyn Cobban (Beam), and Averie Roush (Floor).