OHS crowns 2022 Homecoming King and Queen

Molly Achterkirch, writer

A lot of excitement carries through the OHS hallways as homecoming comes around the corner. The upcoming week includes many activities put on to celebrate homecoming and traditions. 

This year is very exciting to many students because due to rain and track being redone and painted last year the pepfest could not be outside, but on Sept. 9 the student body was able to carry on the tradition.Student council adviser Ms. Wendy Eggermont speaks out about her vision of what homecoming means to her and what she wants OHS to feel as well. Ms.Eggermont said, ”Homecoming to me is creating experiences for kids to come together and create school spirit and create new memories.” Many students and staff are very excited to show off their school spirit and are excited for the week ahead. 

The coronation began with the emcees, juniors Kate Sande and Taya Selbrade, calling up the OHS cheer team to perform a routine. Once the cheerleaders finished, Sande and Selbrade explained this year’s homecoming week events. Then they introduced the 2022-23 King and Queen Top 12 homecoming royalty. The top 12 nominees include seniors: Aidan Charles, Mikah Elstad, Sevy Enter, Justin Gleason, Nils Gantert, Trevor Hiatt, Drew Kretlow, Liam Melgaard, Rohit Poduval, David Smith, Collin Vick, Noah Wellnitz, Ava Eitrheim, Paiton Glynn, Kiara Gentz, Kate Havelka, Makenna Hovey,  Lileigh Nguyen, Ezra Oien, Sarah Snitker, Macy Stanton, Abby Vetsch, Allison Wasieleski, Kaitlyn Wasieleski and Lauren Waypa.

On Friday Sept. 16 the juniors and seniors voted for the Top Five King and Queen candidates. Congratulations to seniors Aidan Charles, Sevy Enter, Justin Gleason, David Smith, Collin Vick, Ava Eitrheim, Paiton Glynn, Makenna Hovey, Kate Havelka and Lauren Waypa. 

Finally, on Monday, Sept. 26 of homecoming week, the coronation was held in the auditorium  at 6 p.m. Much excitement has grown through the weeks as many students have been waiting to find out who the 2022-23 homecoming king and queen will be. OHS crowned Sevy Enter as king and Lauren Waypa as the queen.   

Queen  Waypa is involved in varsity soccer and run tracks, and she is also involved in orchestra, NHS, key club and SHOC. Waypa talks about her feelings through this moment. Waypa said, ”I feel honored to be able to keep this tradition going.”  

King Sevy Enter is involved in OHS Magnet. Enter’s future plan is to include something in photography and business. Enter said, ”I think it was cool to be recognized by my classmates for everything leading up to my senior year.”  

Coronation in the auditorium kicked off a week of fun activities.