OHS fall recap of senior year

Designed by Rolando Maya

Photos of notable students and events during first quarter of OHS.

Rolando Maya

Senior year can be an important time for students. For some students, senior year is their last year in school, others this is the last time seeing the people they grew up with. This year so far has been significant for many seniors. Captivating moments in sports, activities and school events are some of the most memorable. Homecoming week and Friday night football games have brought memorable moments for seniors, especially this quarter.

Homecoming week was held Sept. 26 – Oct. 1. Seniors participated in many events including, sand volleyball, movie night, and dress up days. Senior Nils Gantert, who participated in the events on homecoming week, said, “Hoco week was really fun. I did the dress up days and went to the dance and everything.” Gantert, varsity captain and goalie for the OHS Boys Soccer team, had a memorable senior season himself, contributing with many game-deciding saves. Gantert said, “Senior soccer season was very good, we were super close to state and I ended up being all-conference.” Another important event for seniors was the coronation of King and Queen at OHS. Seniors Sevy Enter and Lauren Waypa were crowned during the start of homecoming week. 

During the month of October, many of OHS sport teams had successful seasons with many important individual performances. The OHS Boys Soccer advanced to the Big 9 final section against Rochester Mayo Spartans, the team would end placing second, in a hard fought 2-1 game in overtime. OHS Boys Soccer ended the season with a 14-4-1, a successful season overall, with many big moments from the team and individuals such as senior Benny Bangs who was a Mr. Soccer finalist . The OHS Girls Soccer advanced to the semi final against the Lakeville North Panthers where they lost 2-0. The OHS Girls Soccer ended the season with a winning record, 10-8, and a successful first year playing for the Huskies, senior Ava Stanchina. Stanchina also was a Ms. Soccer finalist and All-State first team. 

Owatonna Football would advance to section playoffs. The semi-final was held at OHS against the Northfield Raiders on Oct. 29. The theme of the game was halloween costumes, with many funny costumes shown in the student section. The semi-finals was the last game on the OHS football field after 99 years of play. The class of 2023 students and athletes that were on the football team are the last graduating class to ever play on the OHS football field. 

Towards the end of October, Senior Trevor Hiatt would compete in the  Section 1AA Boys Cross Country meet, where he placed second individually, which qualified him for the Boys State Cross Country Meet. After 35 years of coaching the OHS Boys Cross Country, Coach Dave Chatelaine has resigned. From 1987-2022, Chatelaine has been coaching the  boys cross country and has been an assistant track coach. 

Future plans are another big part of senior year. Seniors going down the college route have been advised to apply to colleges that they hope to attend for their desired future plans. During the months of October and November, events helped seniors, such as free college application and the OHS College and Career Fair. On Oct. 19, the Jostens presentation was also an important date for seniors, as information about ordering caps and gowns was displayed. Principal Mr. Kory Kath said, “You shouldn’t procrastinate things because I think one thing that is important is to look at your FAFSA (Free Application for Student Aid), to make sure it is out there so you have financial aid coming your way.” Principal Kath is hoping all seniors get the support they need, and make the right decisions during the college process. 

As the school year progresses, more events will pop up for seniors and other students to attend. This week, Nov. 14-18, the annual Cash Drive Week will be held with more dress up days and events such as a pepfest, basketball extravaganza and a school dance to end the week. This is the last year of the current Owatonna High School, as a new high school is in the works. The Class of 2023 will be the last graduating class to ever roam the halls of the current high school.