Playoffs start for OHS Girls Lacrosse

Jayden Omangi

Senior captain Anni Moran fighting for possession against a Mayo player at the OHS field.

Rolando Maya, Writer

As the Owatonna Girls Lacrosse season comes to an end, the team has had a strong season with a great record. The lacrosse team is currently 10-3 and 10-0 in the Big 9. The lacrosse team has an improved record from last year’s record. The girls team is looking forward to sections. The team is led by captains Anni Moran, Ella Hayes, Ava Eitrheim, and Madie McGinn.

Finishishing with a positive record, the team would have a solid season.. The team would win the Big 9 in a victory against the Century Panthers. Many of the girls’ success would come from a dominant and commanding season from senior Moran.

“We worked hard every game to make sure we were doing the little things and we came out as conference champions,” says Moran.

Many of the little things consist of the right off the ball movement and knowing when to give the right type of pass at any given situation.

“Hustle matters no matter where you are on the field and it’s important to win those 50/50 balls if we want to win the game,” says Coach Dani Licht.

The girls have shown great improvement from last season, from the loss of seven seniors last year. Through the absence of the seniors, the chemistry on the field has shown improvement.

“Our great chemistry on the field definitely stems from our great chemistry off the field. From bus rides to practices everyday, we are a close team who all support and encourage each other,” says Moran.

As the regular season has come to an end, the Owatonna Girls Lacrosse team are ready for the section playoffs, and believe that they will have a good chance of making a run. “ We just need to keep improving on remembering the little things like ground passes,” says Moran.

Anni Moran is currently the highest scoring player in the history of Owatonna Girls lacrosse. Moran is sitting at 170 career goals, this year being the #1 top scorer in the state for the regular season.

“This season we made a goal to win the first round of sections, Owatonna girls lacrosse hasn’t won in sections since 2017,” says Coach Licht.

To begin sections, Owatonna Girls Lacrosse will host New Prague Trojans on Wednesday, May. 31, at 7:00 p.m. at the Owatonna High School.