45 °
    45 °
    46 °
    46 °
    46 °
    46 °
    46 °
    47 °
    47 °
    47 °
    47 °
    47 °
    46 °
    46 °
    46 °
    46 °
    46 °
    46 °
    47 °
    47 °
    47 °
    48 °
    48 °
    48 °
    49 °
48°/ 45°
49°/ 44°
68°/ 39°
Heavy rain

Oran Dowling is a senior at Owatonna High School, this is his first year being on Magnet Staff. He enjoys being in track, football, and Deca. He likes spending time with his friends and family, being outdoors,...

Joe Zeman is a junior at OHS. This is his first year on the Magnet staff. Zeman is involved in soccer, tennis, concert choir and DECA. For work, he is a referee for both Park & Rec soccer and the Owatonna...

Lauren Kubicek is a junior at Owatonna High School. This is her first year on the Magnet staff. She is involved in many activites at the school inluding the Owatonna Dance Team, DECA, BBBS and Student...

45 °
    45 °
    46 °
    46 °
    46 °
    46 °
    46 °
    47 °
    47 °
    47 °
    47 °
    47 °
    46 °
    46 °
    46 °
    46 °
    46 °
    46 °
    47 °
    47 °
    47 °
    48 °
    48 °
    48 °
    49 °
48°/ 45°
49°/ 44°
68°/ 39°
Heavy rain

Mitch Seykora is a senior at Owatonna High School. This will be his first year on the Magnet staff. He is involved in sports that include baseball and football. During his free time he likes to hang out...

Alia Kubicek is a junior at OHS. This is her first year of Magnet. She is involved in DECA, Prom Committee, Young life, and 4-H. Kubicek also plays hockey and soccer. In her free time she can be found...

Asha Abdi is a sophomore this year at OHS. This year she is getting more involved with the extracurricular activities at school and joined DECA, Magnet, AVID, Orchestra, and Track. Outside of school, Abdi...

Basketball Extravaganza comes down to the wire

Mariah Cuellar
Hot Shots posing for a team picture after winning Basketball Extravaganza.

On Nov. 14, OHS hosted  its annual basketball extravaganza  hosted on Tuesday, Nov, 14 as a part of the annual Cash Drive. This year’s tournament consisted of eight teams, seven of which were students and one teacher team, it was played as a single elimination bracket style tournament. 

The eight teams are the Teacher Crew, Duck Dudes, Hot Shots, Moisty Mire Munches, O-Block, Deggys Munchkins, Mali Strip, and Mixed Roots. The basketball extravaganza is a part of the yearly cash drive here at OHS. The foundation being donated to this year is Rachel’s Light which is a nonprofit organization that helps out homeless women and children in the community. Rachel’s light provides a safe space for people to stay and gives them resources to meet their basic needs. 

This year’s extravaganza got very competitive as the games were close and very physical throughout. The refs consisted of members from the OHS Boys Basketball team. In the first round of the tournament eventual champions Hotshots took down the teachers in dominant fashion. In the semifinal game junior Hunter Theis of the Duck Dudes hit a last second three to take down Deggy’s Munchkins and send his team to the championship game. After the tough loss coach Ashton Kraus said, “My favorite part was getting to coach with a great group of guys. We played good overall, but made a few minor mistakes.” Although the games were very intense, everyone enjoyed themselves and it supported a great cause. 

In the championship game the Duck Dudes took on the Hotshots. Things got chippy early as many hard fouls made tensions rise. The Hotshots took a lead early and never looked back, at halftime the score was 15-8 Hotshots. The second half featured more of the same and they took home the championship. Senior coach Yaasir Munye said, “It felt great to get that win with the team. Nobody believed in us from the start, but we overcame that and proved everyone wrong and won the championship.” The Hotshots ran away with the tournament from game one and never looked back.

The extravaganza again brings fun to OHS while also helping out the community with the money it costs to play and watch. Student Council adviser Casie Devos said, “Our goal as student council is to give back to a nonprofit within our town.” With that being said OHS hopes to impact Rachel’s Light while having a good time along with it. 

About the Contributors
Owen Smith
Owen Smith, Writer
Owen Smith is a senior at OHS this year, this is his first year in Magnet. He joined Magnet because he wants to be a voice for the student body of OHS and enjoys writing about sports. Smith is involved in baseball, basketball, NHS, DECA, and BBBS. When he is not playing baseball and basketball Smith enjoys hanging out with his friends and spending time with his family. He is a really big sports fan and enjoys watching all the Minnesota sports teams. Smith is looking forward to his first year in Magnet and learning more about the student body and becoming a better writer. 
Mariah Cuellar
Mariah Cuellar, Social Media Editor
Mariah Cuellar is a senior at OHS, this is her second year on Magnet staff. Cuellar will continue running the social media for Magnet this year. Cuellar is a part of the OHS cheerleading team and cheers for football and basketball throughout the year. This year at OHS Cuellar is involved in DECA, Link Crew, Thriving Minds and Prom Committee. Outside of school she coaches a youth competition cheer team and is a YoungLife president. Cuellar is very excited to learn new things and make new friends for her final year in Magnet.