OHS Volleyball’s Hot Start

Gabe Cardiff

OHS Volleyball plays tonight at 7 p.m. in Rochester Mayo vs. the Spartans

Nathan Deason, Writer

It is section tournament time for the Owatonna Huskies Volleyball team. Sixth seeded Owatonna hosted Rochester John Marshall in the first round of the Section 1AAA tournament on Oct. 28. The Huskies took down the Rockets in four sets and advanced to play Farmington High School on Oct. 30. The heavily favored Tigers were upset by Owatonna a five set thriller. After a dismantling 7-25 loss in set one, the Huskies came back to win set two. With an inspiring win in set two, the visiting Owatonna crowd quickly made the Farmington High School gym into its own Owatonna atmosphere. The girls lost set three in a heartbreaker with a score of 27-29. In set four, Owatonna rebounded with a convincing 25-17 victory. With momentum on their side, the Huskies pulled out a back and forth 15-12 win, punching their ticket to the section semifinals on Nov. 5. Senior captain Elise Oppegard commented, “After set one, the pressure was really taken off. We felt like we didn’t have anything to lose.” Fellow senior captain Carli Langeland agreed, “In the first set we got all our nerves out. After that, we could focus and play.”

In the first set we got all our nerves out. After that, we could focus and play.

— Carli Langeland

The Huskies will play a second seeded Rochester Mayo team coming off a clean sweep against Rochester Century High School on Oct. 30, in the second round. The Huskies are on a roll, and it couldn’t have come at a more perfect time.   The team plays tonight at Mayo High School at 7 p.m.