OHS Speech Team changes location for home meet

OHS Speech Team members post finals for the home speech meet

Speech is an important aspect in learning and growth. There are 40 students in the 7-12th grade team here in Owatonna. The speech team has goals to not only improve their ability to present, research and write, but also develop skills such as how to be a supportive teammate, how to present one’s self confidently, interpret feedback and set goals. Student’s learn these traits by attending a weekly practice with a coach.

At the high school, practices are held with Mrs. Marcia Anderson, and at the middle school, practices are with Ms. Nicole Wagner and Mr. Ray Heinz. Ms. Wagner was an assistant coach with the team last year and is the new head coach this year. Ms. Wagner helps the students present themselves with facial expressions, gestures, volume, rate of delivery, expressions and confidence. Wagner said, “Come and support the team by watching some entertaining and insightful pieces.”

There are a lot of life skills that speech can help develop. Senior captain Payton Wunderlich has been in speech for three years and has gained public speaking skills, writing skills and wonderful friends from other schools. Wunderlich said, “We have really talented kids on the team and there’s something for everyone at the speech meet.” The speech team has a home meet at the OMS on Mar. 10, starting at 9 a.m. The second round begins at 10:30, and the third round begins at 11:45 a.m. After these three rounds of competition, they will have final rounds in each category. Local and area schools will be attending. For spectators, it is free and open to the public, so come support Owatonna Sspeech at Owatonna Middle School.

Julia Hansen, Writer and Editor
Julia Hansen is a senior at the Owatonna Senior High School and is in her second year of Magnet. Hansen is involved in basketball, concert band as a french horn player and a leader in Young Life. She is currently waitressing at a resort and loves to babysit whenever she can. Her plan after high...
  • OHS Speech Team changes location for home meet

Student Life

Don’t rain on our parade

Student Life

OHS crowns 2018 homecoming royalty

Student Life

Dodgeball with a curve

Blast to the past

Showcase

2018 Homecoming Royalty