Recognizing women in education who are making an impact

Angana Patel

OHS Magnet conducted a poll asking the question “Who is a female teacher that has influenced or impacted your life?” Pictured left to right: Lauren Gendron, Paula Asmus and Liza Drever were voted the most influential teacher amongst OHS students.

Angana Patel, Writer

Every year the month of March is designated for International Women’s History Month. This occasion has been celebrated annually since 1987. This month is to celebrate the vital role women have played in history. To celebrate it at the Owatonna High School, individuals will recognize female educators who have made a difference. 

High school teaching in the United States was once considered to be a career for a man, while elementary teaching has predominantly been a female driven area. Now, female teachers have surged in great numbers and now make up the majority of educators in both fields. According to The University of Texas, the norm of having male teachers decreased from 1970 to 2010, while women’s representation in the workforce increased 22 percent. This statistic is also relevant at the Owatonna High School as of 2023, female educators make up 53 percent of the staff, while men make up 46 percent.  

Female educators have exponentially grown in number over the past few decades for a few reasons. Reasons are dated back to the Industrial era and the popular belief that women were more of the “natural” teachers. Women are suited to be a teacher due to women being qualified to work with human development.  

Female educators have made the classroom environment more comforting and a welcoming space for students, specifically female students, it has overall allowed students to have the teacher that they have wished for. A survey conducted on the OHS Magnet Instagram asked “Who is a female teacher that has influenced or impacted your life?” 

I was brought up by a female teacher, a mom who worked in the workforce and I was empowered by the way she handled everything–the job, the kids, getting her education beyond just her Bachelor’s Degree.

— Lauren Gendron

Female educators influence their students in and outside of the classroom. For example, Language Arts teacher Ms. Lauren Gendron is the proof of that. She was raised by a female teacher and was empowered to not let anything hold her back. Her mom influenced her into becoming the woman she is today–a strong, caring, passionate human being. Ms. Gendron said, “I was brought up by a female teacher, a mom who worked in the workforce and I was empowered by the way she handled everything–the job, the kids, getting her education beyond just her Bachelor’s Degree.”

The way Ms. Gendron was brought up has influenced her actions as a teacher. Not only does she take into consideration the way her mom taught. She also has a different teaching method; she makes her students feel equal in the classroom as she doesn’t try to be an authoritarian teacher, but places herself as on an equal standing to her students. Junior Josy Caudillo said, “When you are in her classroom you know that she has your best interest in mind.”

Even though many teachers have a different way of teaching, there are some teachers who are more valued than others when it comes to what the student needs. 

Ms. Gendron said, “We are all different as teachers because we have different styles and approaches to teaching that are all valued. Students will be able to relate to some teachers here because we bring in different perspectives.” 

Every teacher has a different way of teaching or connecting with students. Some teachers either ask students direct questions on their likes or dislikes, while other teachers only try when students’ academic performance is decreasing. Some teachers go above and beyond and have a way of communicating with students like no others. 

For instance, Ms. Liza Drever, a math teacher who has been working at Owatonna High School for five years, has a different way of communicating with her students. Instead of asking questions based upon a negative impact on the student’s academic performance, Ms. Drever implements community building activities where she is able to get to know her students on another level. She also does emotional check-ins with her students every week. 

I believe that a teacher must always do what is best for students. It is so important to get to know students on a social, emotional, and academic level.

— Liza Drever

Ms. Drever believes that it’s not only important for teachers to make time for students regarding their academics, but also knowing them on a deeper, personal level.  Ms. Drever said, “I believe that a teacher must always do what is best for students. It is so important to get to know students on a social, emotional, and academic level.” Throughout her career, Ms. Drever’s way of teaching has helped many students whether it’s by lending an ear, offering advice, being approachable and welcoming.  

Senior Kassidy Hart said, “Ms. Drever has impacted me as a student through her positivity and her kind and easy going attitude which makes everyone feel welcomed and cared for. For example, she made me feel supported after the loss of my dog. I was in a really sad state where motivation and focus was low, but she comforted me and gave me the time and sympathy through it all. She was very understanding and emphasized that if I ever needed anything, she would be there.”

Not only have Ms. Gendron and Ms. Drever made an impact at the high school, but so has OHS newcomer, Ms. Paula Asmus who is the first female choir director at the OHS. This is a new era of change for the program. 

With her being the first female choir teacher, Ms. Asmus has two primary goals for the choral program. Ms. Asmus said, “The first is to uphold the strong tradition of musical excellence in the OHS choral program that has been built for decades. The second is to truly create a welcoming, supportive, and safe community within the choral program here.” 

Not only does Ms. Asmus have goals for the program she is running, but she has goals for herself. She strives to be a person who is capable of pushing others to reach their full potential while also being that caring and supportive role model for her students. 

Ms. Asmus said, “I want my students to remember me as someone who cared about them. I care a lot about all of my students and I hope they remember my class as a space that they felt loved and supported.” Her passion for not only music but fulfilling other people’s potential and helping them see the best in others has truly been recognized by her students.  

Ms. Asmus is great at getting students to be involved and getting them excited about choir. She is extremely dedicated to the program.

— Emily Jacobs

Senior Emily Jacobs said, “Ms. Asmus is great at getting students to be involved and getting them excited about choir. She is extremely dedicated to the program.”

Recognizing female educators who are making a difference in their students’ lives is substantial as it can promote other teachers to be the teacher their student needs. Educators, especially female teachers are empowered women who empower women. Female educators are the key in making a difference in the classroom, while also helping their students to reach their full potential.