57 °
    58 °
    58 °
    57 °
    56 °
    55 °
    54 °
    53 °
    52 °
    51 °
    50 °
    49 °
    48 °
    47 °
    46 °
    45 °
    45 °
    46 °
    47 °
    48 °
    48 °
    48 °
    47 °
    47 °
    46 °
58°/ 51°
49°/ 45°
51°/ 44°

Afton Torabpour is a junior at the Owatonna High School and this is her first year being a part of OHS Magnet. She's a OHS Girls Swim and Dive captain, she is also involved in Track, DECA, Big Brother...

Lexie Klecker is a junior at Owatonna High School. This is her first year on OHS Magnet. Klecker joined Magnet to improve her writing skills and get more involved at OHS. She is involved in Basketball,...

Victoria Contreras is a senior at OHS this year. This is her first year joining Magnet. Contreras joined Magnet because she is interested in bettering her writing and social media skills. She hopes that...

57 °
    58 °
    58 °
    57 °
    56 °
    55 °
    54 °
    53 °
    52 °
    51 °
    50 °
    49 °
    48 °
    47 °
    46 °
    45 °
    45 °
    46 °
    47 °
    48 °
    48 °
    48 °
    47 °
    47 °
    46 °
58°/ 51°
49°/ 45°
51°/ 44°

Andres Contreras is a senior at OHS this year. This is his second year in Magnet, this year he will take the role of editor and writer. Contreras is involved in Younglife and Wyldlife outside of school....

Magnet staffer 2023-24
Mariah Cuellar
Social Media Editor

Mariah Cuellar is a senior at OHS, this is her second year on Magnet staff. Cuellar will continue running the social media for Magnet this year. Cuellar is a part of the OHS cheerleading team and cheers...

Norah Sletten is a senior at OHS and this is her third year on OHS Magnet staff. Sletten joined Magnet because she has an interest in journalism. Alongside being a part of OHS Magnet, Sletten is involved...

OHS raises over $4000 for Rachel’s Light

Amanda+Starks+receiving+check+for+Cash+Drive+week+at+OHS.+
Chloe Gfrerer
Amanda Starks receiving check for Cash Drive week at OHS.

Every year OHS holds a Cash Drive week in the fall where the student council picks a non-profit organization to give donations to. During the week, there are various activities that the student council schedules to raise money as well as dress up days. This year the student council chose to donate the money to Rachel’s Light. 

Rachel’s Light is an organization that provides all the basic necessities, shelter, and hygiene products for women and children. Their mission is to empower women who are homeless into becoming independent and, ultimately, looks to end homelessness in the community. 

Starting the week offAll Standings strong was pajama day and OHS held the kick off pepfest. Students and staff raised $1,007 for Rachel’s Light, which met the money goal to shave both Brandon Noble and Keanan Larson’s hair.

Throughout the week student council hosted events to raise money for Rachel’s Light. During the second period there were competitions on who could raise the most money to earn donuts and bagels for that class. On Monday Wagner’s Lunch, with each burger purchased, $1 went to Rachel’s Light. Tuesday was rhyme without a reason or twin day, and that night there was a basketball extravaganza. Wednesday was groutfit day. Barbie and Ken had Thursday’s dress up day. Friday was jersey day with pickleball later that day. Pickleball Friday was the final day to make donations for the cash drive. All of these activities added to the money raised for Rachel’s Light.

During the Cash Drive week OHS raised a grand total of $4,042.65 that will be going towards Rachel’s Light. Upon seeing the check Amanda Starks was amazed. Starks said, “ High schoolers are awesome!” This week was a week to have fun, but more importantly, to give back to the Owatonna community. 

My favorite part was when they shaved Brandon and Keanan’s heads because it was funny but it also showed how much money we raised in two minutes.

— McKenna Abrahams

The Cash Drive week was a fun week with all of these fun dress up days and activities. Freshman Mckenna Abrahams said, “My favorite part was when they shaved Brandon and Keanan’s heads because it was funny but it also showed how much money we raised in two minutes.” Other fun activities were held throughout the week that gathered the community to support a great cause. Sophomore Amelia Baldwin said, “I really enjoyed watching the basketball extravaganza but a close second is pickleball.” During pickleball there were 56 teams in total.

Chloe Gfrerer
Chloe Gfrerer, Writer
Chloe Gfrerer is a sophomore at OHS. It is her first year in Magnet. She decided to join to improve her journalism skills because she has an interest in journalism. She also got told that it is a great experience to be a part of. Gfrerer is involved in dance and trap. She is also manager for the school's football team. During her free time she enjoys hanging out with her friends, reading, watching movies, and listening to music.