Appreciation Week: Reception, Secretarial, Counseling & Nurse Staff

Sam Hylle, Writer

As appreciation week continues at OHS, it is time to recognize the office staff, counselors, and nurses. These excellent employees ensure the day-to-day operations at the high school run smoothly and efficiently, and always have a pleasant attitude. Each group is responsible for different things, from treating sick students to helping graduating seniors plan their future colleges and careers. Without them, some of the things we may take for granted or don’t need to worry about would become serious issues.

counselors Ms. Roxi Stewart, Ms. Brynn McConnell, Ms, Ms. Margo McKay, Ms. Tammy Langlois, and Ms. Vicki Berdan
Sam Hylle
 Counselors Ms. Roxi Stewart, Ms. Brynn McConnell,  Ms. Margo McKay, Ms. Tammy Langlois, and Ms. Vicki Berdan

The counseling department has a variety of responsibilities, including making and altering every student’s’ schedule. They do many other things, including monitoring online classes and heading the AP testing process. Although scheduling is a heavy burden and many times students ask for schedule changes well after the deadline, our great counselors always find a way to make sure students end up in the classes that they need. The staff consists of four counselors including Ms. Roxi Stewart,  Ms. Brynn McConnell, Ms. Tammy Langlois, Ms.. Vicki Berdan and Ms. Margo McKay. Senior, Daniel Kaupa said, “I have gotten stuck with a few classes that I don’t need every year, but my counselor’s have always gladly been able to get me the classes I want. I really appreciate that.”

Behind the scenes, the OHS Secretaries and Office Staff

office workers ms. Pat Wall, Ms. Shannon DeWitz, Ms. Cheryl Summer, Ms. Barb Bergwall, and Ms. Jan Thurber
Sam Hylle
 Office workers Ms. Pat Wall, Ms. Shannon DeWitz, Ms. Cheryl Summer, Ms. Barb Bergwall, and Ms. Jan Thurber

quietly are the engine that makes the school run. They handle everything to do with attendance, and remind students via passes of appointments, meetings, etc. They also check in every visitor as well as scheduling appointments and meetings for school administrators. Our school relies on their organization and timelines every minute of every day, and for that we thank them. Our front office staff has many great members, including Ms. Pat Wall, Ms. Shannon DeWitz, Ms. Jan Thurber, Ms. Cheryl Summer and Ms. Barb Bergwall. Ms. Wall said, “I like meeting the kids and visitors that come in, as well being able to work with such a great staff every day.”

nurses Ms. Amy Jo Havelka and Ms. Anna Durst
Sam Hylle
 Nurses Ms. Amy Jo Havelka and Ms. Anna Durst

Last are the school nurses, Ms. Amy Jo Havelka and Ms. Anna Durst. Both said their favorite part of their job is to be able to work with students every day, which is apparent because of the way kids are treated when they enter the nurse’s office. The nurses are responsible for taking care of sick kids as well as kids with medical needs. Ms. Havelka said, “my favorite part about working with kids is the relationships I get to make, as well as tending to their health needs.” It would be a difficult task to find two kinder, more caring people than our two school nurses.

It is clear that we have an amazing office staff here at OHS, and on their day of appreciation we want to thank all of them for the great work they do!