NHS now taking applications

NHS

NHS

Evan Hackerson, Writer

National Honor Society is an organization created to honor outstanding high school students. The society is more than just an honor roll for students with impressive academics. It is recognizing students in the pillars of leadership, character, academics and service. The club accepts members through an application process, where sophomores and juniors with at least a 3.7 GPA and seniors with a 3.5 GPA submit a typed summary sharing their abilities in all four areas. The applicant must include a essay of why NHS is a good fit for them. The student must also include two letters of recommendation – one from a high school teacher and one from a community member. The application can be found here, and the application deadline for NHS is coming up soon on Friday, Feb. 23.

National Honors Society is advised by OHS math teacher, Mrs. Emily Paur. Mrs. Paur grew up participating in NHS as a high school student, and she has been the adviser for NHS at OHS for two years. NHS participates in a variety of service work around the community. Each year NHS has had a talent show to raise funds for an organization of their choice. Last year, they chose From the Heart, and this year the organization chosen is Food For Kids. Mrs. Paur said, “NHS is very involved with giving back to the community, so we do a lot of service projects to raise funds.”

This year the talent show will be at 7:00 p.m. on March 17 in the OHS auditorium. NHS is actively involved in helping with various activities going on at elementary schools like carnivals and other projects. Secretary Rilee Schmidt shared about her favorite part of being involved in NHS. Schmidt said, “I really enjoy helping others, especially with other NHS members who are kind hearted, hardworking and generous.” NHS strives to make a positive impact in the community as well as strengthen students leadership skills along with it.

NHS is organized of a board of senior leaders including president Nick Hagen, vice president Grace Pick, secretary Rilee Schmidt and treasurer Becca Olson. If interested in being a part of National Honors Society, or want more information, see one of the leaders during the school day or Mrs. Paur. One can contact Mrs. Paur at (507) 444-8933 or [email protected].