Life of a performer

Student spotlight: Kyra Rahn

Serena Omangi

A charismatic, genuine character takes center stage in this week’s student spotlight; her name is Kyra Rahn. Not only partaking as the student spotlight, she will also be taking the theater spotlight in the upcoming Owatonna High School production of Sylvia on April 19-22. Rahn will be performing as the lead role of Sylvia, but this will not be her first lead role as she has been the lead in a few other plays and musicals. She has even performed a one person show. Along with theater, Rahn participates in choir, dances with Just For Kix and managed for the dance team.

Matt Segler
Kyra Rahn performing a self choreographed dance

Needless to say, Rahn’s background in performing is a gift that she loves to share with others. She first started performing at Medford in third grade when her parents asked her if she was interested in joining the show choir a musical performance with dancing and singing. From there her love for performing grew. Speaking about her parents, Rahn said, “They couldn’t be more supportive in my theater and dancing career.” Along with her parents she is very close to her sister as well. They dance together often, and the students of OHS even got a taste of their combined dance skills at a pepfest earlier this year when Rahn was voted a snow queen candidate.

Rahn started at OHS as a transfer student and worked her way up to a snow queen candidate. She says she owes her social success to her own open personality. She said, “This year I just felt open about myself and ok with just being like – this is me.” Opening up to the Owatonna community has paid off. Rahn has become known across town for her outstanding performances. Recently she performed in the NHS talent show. The event was held on Saturday, Mar. 17. She performed a self choreographed dance and earned her way to a first place finish.

Rahn has had much success already in her performing career in Medford and Owatonna, and she plans to continue after high school. Acting is not the only thing to come for Rahn. She also wants to travel out of the country someday, and says she would love to visit South Africa. No matter which way her future goes she is sure to be a positive influence on those around her.  She does not know what post-secondary school she will attend to advance her acting and dancing, but she knows she will remain in the arts programs for much of the future.

About the Contributors
Peyton Robb, Sports Editor

I’m a trained assassin who specializes in hand to hand combat. I have 129 confirmed kills, and I’m looking for more. If you are looking for my services, contact me only in person. I cannot speak on an open line.

Other information:

• I’m the 2015 straight river days hot dog eating competition runner up
  • I like to play with stuffed animals
  • My favorite show is Bubble Guppies
  • In my free time I like to go snipe hunting although I’ve never caught one
  • I’m not afraid to punch a baby if they get in my face
  • I beat a full team of gymnasts in a hand stand competition

On one last note, when you address me directly, I prefer to be called Dr. Love.

Serena Omangi, Multimedia Editor

Serena Omangi is a senior who is creative centered. Photography and filming videos are her specialty. This is Omangi’s second year in Magnet. She is also involved in NHS and Exchange club. Omangi is a vintage clothes collector and a film lover. A future goal for Omangi is to have here picture on the cover of Time magazine.

• Life of a performer

Features

Locking out trouble

• Life of a performer

Opinion

Editorial: Safety at OHS

• Life of a performer

New opportunities for the first Miscast Cabaret

• Life of a performer

Student Life

Seniors preparing for college

• Life of a performer

Scouting for Achievement