OHS Magnet’s best books of 2022

Graphic design by Ashley Holm

OHS Magnet highlights some of the best books of 2022 in a ranking.

Ashley Holm, Writer

With the start of the new year, many people will look back at the previous year and some of the most memorable moments of the year. Book readers will look back at the books of 2022 that left the most impact; books such as, “A Good Girl’s Guide to Murder” by Holly Jackson, “The Seven Husbands of Evelyn Hugo” by Taylor Jenkins Reid, “Dance of Thieves” by Mary E. Pearson, “I’m Glad My Mom Died” by Jennette McCurdy and “Heartstopper: Volume One” by Alice Oseman. 

A Good Girls Guide to Murder 

One of the first books that stood out was, “A Good Girl’s Guide to Murder” by Holly Jackson. It falls into the mystery genre along with being the first book of a trilogy. The story follows a girl named Pippa Fitz-Amobi, who slowly uncovers the truth about a suspicious murder case within her town from five years prior. Although this book came out in 2019, 2022 saw it soar in popularity as the rest of the books in the trilogy have been released. 

The Seven Husbands of Evelyn Hugo 

“The Seven Husbands of Evelyn Hugo” by Taylor Jenkins Reid, was a book from the romance genre that deserved the praise it got throughout all of 2022. The book focuses on protagonist Evelyn Hugo who led a scandalous life while she was famous, and she is ready to reveal all of her secrets. She hires a journalist, Monique Grant, to write her biography. Evelyn starts to detail her whole life through interviews with Monique. They both form a connection while the truth is unraveled. Sophomore Ellery Blacker says, “I love how Evelyn Hugo is a complex character. She is not all what the world sees, she manipulates and uses people, but she is okay with that. I liked that she made it clear that she isn’t a good person, but the reader can decide that for themselves.”

Dance of Thieves 

“Dance of Thieves” by Mary E. Pearson, is the first book in a two-part fantasy series that gained popularity in 2022. While reading this book readers are able to feel like they are in the story, which makes it so popular among new readers and fantasy book lovers. Patriarch of Ballenger Empire dies and his son, Jase, becomes the new leader, while a new queen arises and becomes the new target of the dynasty’s anger. The queen sends a former street thief named Kazi to investigate the Ballenger Empire. Jase and Kazi meet and unexpected events happen. 

I’m Glad My Mom Died 

The memoir “I’m Glad My Mom Died” by Jennette McCurdy, details her life growing up as a child actor. McCurdy talks about her struggles with her mother, an eating disorder and how she has overcome all of her challenges later in her life. This memoir shows just how damaging being a child actor can be. Junior Alayna Wannarka says, “I thought I’m Glad My Mom Died was very eye opening to what can be going on behind closed doors and how you can never be certain what is going on in someone else’s life”. Being an autobiography this book highlights some real life problems most people are not aware about.

I thought I’m Glad My Mom Died was very eye opening to what can be going on behind closed doors and how you can never be certain what is going on in someone else’s life

— Alayna Wannarka

Heartstopper: Volume One

Lastly, “Heartstopper: Volume One” by Alice Oseman, was a graphic novel that gained popularity in 2022. The first season of “Heartstopper” came out in late April of 2022. It is a graphic novel about two boys, Nick and Charlie, who meet at an all boys grammar school. They become friends fast when Charlie joins the rugby team. Leading to the confession of Charlie’s feelings for Nick. This graphic novel series became popular due to its diversity and representation of LGBTQ+ characters. 

All of the books above are just a few that were great books in 2022. As reading becomes more popularized, it is exciting to see which new books will be in the light next.