Time to get registered

Lauren Bangs

OHS student looks through the registration guide to help find classes for next year.

Lauren Bangs, Writer

OHS students are getting excited to choose their curriculum for the upcoming school year. These next few months are a time for students to prepare themselves for the upcoming school year while making big decisions as to what courses they will take. OHS allows students to pick the classes they want to take so they can enjoy the curriculum they are learning.

When thinking about what classes a student should take, students put into consideration graduation requirements, career interests and personal strengths. Students can still change the classes they choose once the year has started, but it is important to pick the classes right away to make registration easier.

Guidance counselor Tami Langlois said, “Students have an easier time registering if they really look through the materials first.”

When picking classes, students have the choice of many leisure courses, but there are certain requirements students must meet for graduation. In total, students are supposed to complete seven credits each year of high school meaning they will finish with at least 28 credits by graduation.

Within those 28 credits, students are required to have 4.5 language arts credits, 4.0 social studies credits, 3.0 to science credits, 3.0 to mathematics credits, 1.0 physical education/health, 1.0 arts electives and the other 12.5 credits can be any classes students want to take. Everyone must take four years of English and social studies along with beginner courses in math and science. From there, students are welcome to branch out in each course pathway to decide on what extra mathematics or science classes they may want to take for graduation.

OHS has an exciting new addition to their curriculum with some new classes. While moving into the new high school will be amazing on its own, students also have new opportunities for some additional courses. Next year, six new classes will be added for students to choose from. Those new additions are: Foundations of Emergency Care, Computer Animations, Firefighter I, Firefighter II hazmat test, AP Pre Calculus, Intro to Plants and Human Performance.

There will also be a new addition of a school store which will be an additional class students can participate in.

Freshman Boldin Krause said, “I am looking forward to signing up for new classes because I get more options going into sophomore year.” Students are excited for these new courses and OHS is very lucky to have more electives to choose in this upcoming registration.

Once students are ready to register for the next year, they can fill out a helpful guide to track what courses students are wanting to take before submitting it on their Infinite Campus. This sheet will help students stay organized while they register for the next year, and it will remind them to register for eight total credits of required and elective courses and at least six alternates. This way students can always have the opportunity to get the classes they want.

Registration is a very important aspect in every student’s high school experiences. The goal of registration is to plan out the courses that would best fit a student’s aptitudes and interests.

Ms. Langlois said, “the registration guide has everything that students would need to reference whether it be course descriptions or courses that can be taken for college credit.”

The registration guide is a great place to start when deciding which courses they are most interested in. This registration guide will inform students on everything they need to know for the next upcoming registration and show them what they could do with their school day next year. OHS’s goal is to help students notice their strengths and interests to point them into the right career path before entering their college academic or work force careers, and registering is the best way to do that.

The registration window will open on Monday, Feb. 21. Students will be able to go into the campus portal and begin registering until the window closes on the evening of Saturday, Mar. 4.