“Harry Potter” video game becomes a worldwide phenomenon

Game company: Warner Bros. Interactive Entertainment press release image

“Hogwarts Legacy” video game cover featuring Hogwarts school in the background.

Luca Gfrerer, Writer

In 1997, J.K Rowling published the first “Harry Potter” novel, “The Philosopher’s Stone.” In the years following, she wrote six additional books for the main series and a wide variety of spin off series’. On top of that, eight movies were produced which were based on the original seven books, and a few other films such as the “Fantastic Beasts” franchise were released as well. On Feb. 10, 2023, the video game “Hogwarts Legacy”, was released and has since become a worldwide success. 

“Hogwarts Legacy” is an action packed video game based off of Rowling’s fictional Wizarding World. The objective is to defeat Voldemort, exactly as Harry Potter did in the books and movies. However, the original protagonist does not exist in this universe, and instead, the player is the main character who takes Harry’s place. 

OHS sophomore Hunter Theis has spent countless hours playing “Hogwarts Legacy.” 

He said, “It’s a good game and it keeps you occupied for a long time and anyone can play it. It doesn’t matter if you’re into ‘Harry Potter’ or not.” 

His favorite parts of the game are that it is an open world and that there are so many accessories to use. 

“Hogwarts Legacy” is filled with immersive magic such as spells, magical plants and potions. All the locations in the original universe exist in the game and the player is able to visit them. Depending on the decisions that the player makes, the game could have one of three different endings. With all of the different quests and features, there is around 35 hours of playing time. 

OHS junior Sophia Laughlin has not played the video game yet, but she is a huge fan of all things “Harry Potter.”

Laughlin said, “I think the game looks really fun because people seem to enjoy it. I think it has gained the attention it deserves.”

As of now, Laughlin does not plan on buying “Hogwarts Legacy,” but she is excited to see how the platform grows. 

Rowling’s timeless stories have provided the world with endless entertainment for the past 26 years. Through sadness, joy, and everything in between, Rowling has touched the hearts and lives of millions. It is no surprise that once again, the Wizarding World has made a comeback through something as simple as a video game. “Hogwarts Legacy” has already gained loads of popularity in the last month, but it is still safe to say that it will continue to grow and develop within the next few years. 

As of Feb. 24, over 12 million units have been sold. Versions of the game can currently be purchased to play on Xbox Series X and PlayStation 5. Collector’s Editions for PlayStation 4 and Xbox 1 will be available this May.