School board decides fate of former OHS

On+April+24%2C+Owatonna+school+board+members+voted+to+determine+the+fate+of+the+former+OHS.+

Amanda Clubb

On April 24, Owatonna school board members voted to determine the fate of the former OHS.

Amanda Clubb, Writer

The months-long discussion around what to do with the old OHS building has left many members of the community speculating on its future function. On Monday, April 24, Owatonna school board members voted on this issue. Previously, the school board assigned a group of community members to decide what to do with the building. This task force explored a variety of ideas involving keeping, repurposing and demolishing the building. 

They’re the experts on this. We asked them to do a job and they came back with a unanimous vote.

— School Board Member Jolayne Mohs

After careful research and discussion, the task force decided that the most logical solution was to demolish many of the old parts of the building and keep the green space for community use. School board member Ms. Jolayne Mohs said, “They’re the experts on this. We asked them to do a job and they came back with a unanimous vote.” The task force recommended this solution to the school board, and the board voted unanimously in favor of it.

Community members have various opinions regarding this decision. Some were in favor of preserving the building for its sentimentality, but the board and task force found that it would be more of a financial burden to the community than anything else. Superintendent Mr. Jeff Elstad said, “This building has been in our community for over 100 years. It’s iconic. You’d love to be able to preserve something like that, but one of the things I understand is that beyond the beautiful facade that’s outside is a building that’s tired.”

Moving forward, the school board will begin discussions about the demolition of the building. C Plaza will be kept for district offices, and the gym will be kept for gymnastics. The task force was clear that they wanted the green space for community use. Mr. Elstad said, “It’s got to be good for the community. It’s got to have neighborhood appeal. They were crystal clear that apartment buildings and things like that just aren’t a good fit for this site.” Final details will be determined at future school board meetings.

We’re being very thoughtful about letting the community have an opportunity to say good-bye to this building. It has this rich history in the community.

— Superintendent Elstad

As OHS students and staff prepare to leave the building for the last time, many are reminiscing on a decade’s worth of memories. Mr. Elstad said, “We’re being very thoughtful about letting the community have an opportunity to say good-bye to this building. It has this rich history in the community.” In the coming months, the Owatonna community will prepare to both say good-bye to the old OHS and hello to the new one.