Grandparents For Education looking forward

Matt Summer, Writer

The local volunteer group, Grandparents for Education was started by Ron and Sondra von Arb in 2010. This year, under new leadership from Sonja Harris, the organization will continue the values began by the von Arbs. Even after stepping down due to health related issues, Sondra Von Arb has stayed active in the organization. Sonja Harris has recently stepped down and the Organization is now under control of Ron Von Arb.

The program currently is working on strengthening their ethnic programs by involving a diverse senior citizen group in the organization. The seniors prefer to be called Agers instead of senior citizens. The organization is fairly new, yet it has received national attention multiple times. The group has mostly been focused on the school system, helping out kids of all ages and abilities, but as the group is getting bigger, they are starting to expand to the community.

On Jan. 30, 2016, the group is hosting the first ever Grandparents for Education Murder Mystery Fundraiser. Tickets are $50, and all proceeds support the work of Grandparents for Education. The GFE Fundraising Committee is hard at work arranging this event. If you are interested in helping with this committee, please contact Ron Von Arb at [email protected]. More hands make lighter work for all. The organization’s next meeting is Dec Nov. 23, at 6:30 P.M. Move this paragraph up between the program explanation and event. Vivian Rubaderor located in the options area at the OHS has been in the organization for six years and said, “I love being in Grandparents for Education because I love kids. They have always been a big part of my life from my kids and foster kids I have had, and this gives me a good reason to get out of the house, and I enjoy getting out a couple times a week.”

Grandparents for Education is a unique program, spanning generation gaps and reaching out to students and families in the Owatonna community.