More than art

Carline Reebie, Writer

Art has always been present as a form of human expression throughout history. At the Owatonna Senior High School, it is not any different. Several art classes are offered to expand the students’ minds not only academically, but in a creative aspect as well. Much of the student population enjoys and takes advantage of these classes, building their art skills up to the highest level. Mr. Brian Kuehn is an art teacher at the OHS and is passionate about art’s pastime and meaning. Kuehn stated that, “Art is the reflection of the human experience; happiness, sadness, everything in between.” Kuehn also explained that, “Art tells us who we are at the most basic core.” The work displayed in the hallways might possibly be the best look into how the student community is doing as a whole.

Every artist finds inspiration somewhere. Nature commonly strikes a special connection with people. Luckily, Owatonna has many trails in which anyone can venture, and multiple rivers and creeks that wind through large parks. “Sometimes I am so inspired by trees”, stated senior Cody Blaha. One can see this inspiration shine in the various pictures displayed in the school’s hallways. Regardless of what inspired the artist to do their work, the result tends to be fantastic at the OHS.

Every year students enter artwork and crafts into contests and galleries in the area. Kaitlyn Wendtland is no stranger to entering her work into shows. Just last year she received a ribbon at the Steele County Free Fair for her painting titled “Monster Girl”. It is easy to find places to display your art and possibly win an array of prizes or in some cases, scholarships. The Owatonna Arts Center puts on several events and entering your artwork into one is as easy as filling out a simple application on their website (http://oacarts.org/artist-application/). Scholarships can be found in the career center or online.

Art classes at the Owatonna High School have grown, giving access to more mediums to students. Murals have been completed throughout the building, adding color and inspiration to those who walk the halls. Students’ freedom of expression in art has consistently facilitated academic excellence and will continue to for generations to come.