Freshmen focus on respect 

Official logo of Youth Frontiers

Evan Hackerson, Writer

The freshmen class at Owatonna High School will be going on a kindness retreat during testing day at Owatonna High School. The goal is to keep the students who are not testing occupied on April 3. While the sophomores and juniors at OHS are required to take the MCA reading and the ACT test, the freshmen will be learning crucial leadership skills. The Respect Retreat is led by an organization called “Youth Frontiers.”  

Youth Frontiers is an organization based out of Milwaukee, Wisconsin. Their mission is to partner with schools to build communities where students thrive socially, emotionally and academically. We offer one-day retreats on timeless values like kindness, courage and respect for students in fourth–12th grades. Youth Frontiers also offers educator retreats to help schools support their educators and create cohesive teams all focused in a common direction: their students 

The morning of April 3 will consist of the freshmen will be divided into two groups. One will be at Trinity Lutheran Church, and the other will be at St. Joseph’s Church. The freshman are expected to leave for the retreat at 8:10 a.m. on April 3. The students will be learning important ideas regarding why they matter, why others matter, and how their actions matter. It will also be teaching the students how disrespectful behavior is harmful. The students will also learn how to stand up and avoid being a bystander. In addition, the Respect Retreat will be focusing on improving the culture of respect in the Owatonna community.   

Owatonna High School will be providing bagged lunches for students, or students are able to pack their own. The retreat will hopefully take a small step towards a community and school with a lot of respect and empathy.