The prom low-down

Nicole Skalicky

2019 OHS Prom tickets

Nicole Skalicky, Writer

The dance of the year is just around the corner, with this year’s theme as the Golden Garden Gala. This theme has never been done at Owatonna before, so the prom committee is excited for students to experience it.

Prom is one of the most anticipated events every school year, so here is the low-down for May 11, 2019. Grand March will begin at 7 p.m. in the Four Seasons arena; students are required to be in line before the Grand March starts. The prom dance will rage on from 9 p.m. to midnight at the Four Seasons arena., and after prom will overlap the end of the dance from 11 p.m. to 4 a.m. at the Owatonna Middle School.

I’m excited for people to see each stop. We are doing a different style draping this year, which should look great.

— Emma Maher

The 2019 prom committee decided to take a step up in their decoration game. Mrs. Marilyn Olson has been the committee adviser for six years now, and she is just as excited about the changes as the students are. Mrs. Olson said, “The committee has worked hard to use our resources within the high school, such as the woods class, greenhouse and theater .” Prom committee member Emma Maher said, “I’m excited for people to see each stop. We are doing a different style draping this year, which should look great.” During the week prior to the dance, tickets will be sold at $50  per couple and $30 per single. This is the only time to buy tickets; they will not be available at the doors. Only juniors and seniors are allowed to attend prom, but they do have the ability to invite a guest under 21 years old. To do so, these guests will need to have their I.D. at the dance and fill out a form found on the OHS website – forms are due Wednesday, May 8. Students must also be in good standing to graduate in order to attend.

After Prom

Chaps, boots and cowboy hats for a Western-themed after prom. Western attire is also highly encouraged. Activities will consist of raffles, inflatables, a hypnotist show and lots of food. Buying tickets ahead of time will cost $15 in the commons and $20 at the door. After prom will overlap the end of the dance from 11 p.m. to 4 a.m. at the Owatonna Middle School.